My first marine reef tank - The journey to the salty side

Thanks for the advice! Going to pick up everything just now- pics to follow :thumbup:
Is the lighting decent for all corals etc?

Light is fine if you not planning on keeping SPS. @dallasg @MistaOrange @butcherman (Your view regards the skimmer)
Just dont want the newbie to spend money now and later....

Last edited by a moderator:
Also what are your guys thoughts on rock?
I definitely want live rock - I have heard that cured live rock is better and helps with the cycling of the tank faster?
Have also heard that it is very difficult to come by in SA?
Finally what should oine look out for in order to get good live rock?

Look in the for sale section there is some guys selling up at the moment and it will be great if you can get the cured liverock from a system that was running. There are also alot of sponsors that still have some live rock they sell , but i would take a look in the for sale section. The cycling process is only complete once the water parameters has stabilized and the ammonia is down to 0... do you have any test kits as yet? (Also look in the for sale section)

Zandy - what would I need to do differently to accommodate SPS?

There are more forgiving species of SPS (like birdsnest ect) that will be ok with basic light , however the most SPS will require quite alot more light.. @butcherman is probably a better person to ask in regards to SPS... I have also just recently started with keeping SPS, so would rather give that subject over to someone with more knowledge than me about it. But for now i would not worry about that too much. LPS is also very rewarding and much more forgiving... Are you going to get the TS1 or TS2 ?

Last edited:
Look in the for sale section there is some guys selling up at the moment and it will be great if you can get the cured liverock from a system that was running. There are also alot of sponsors that still have some live rock they sell , but i would take a look in the for sale section. The cycling process is only complete once the water parameters has stabilized and the ammonia is down to 0... do you have any test kits as yet? (Also look in the for sale section)

Excuse my ignorance but is the for sale section the classifieds?
Is it possible to search within classifieds? If so then how?

Excuse my ignorance but is the for sale section the classifieds?
Is it possible to search within classifieds? If so then how?

Let me see if i can find you some links to click on for live rock ...:thumbup:

yes been busy for a change...:thumbup:

Great ! Hope your mountain is as gorgeous as ever !!! Maybe you could point the fellow capetonian in the right direction to get live rock... Handing over to CPT ..lol:thumbup:

for SPS take the size of your tank ie 200l or what ever it is, double it and that would give you a good indication of the rating for the skimmer you need. in your case a ts2 or a curve 7 would be good.

what lights will you be looking at, some sps will be ok with basic light but acros will need something like LED's/mh/or something with multiple t5 globes (4 tubes plus)

sps will also require more flow than lps or softies.

for SPS take the size of your tank ie 200l or what ever it is, double it and that would give you a good indication of the rating for the skimmer you need. in your case a ts2 or a curve 7 would be good.

what lights will you be looking at, some sps will be ok with basic light but acros will need something like LED's/mh/or something with multiple t5 globes (4 tubes plus)

Wow u alive Sir???? lol...welcome ! Stop making biltong for a change !!! lol:thumbup::tt2:

@butcherman Lighting is a 54w quad odyssey unless anyone can recommend anything else at this stage? I am going for the TS2 skimmer recommended by @MistaOrange

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom