My 1ft - 50L QT system, fully automated and DIY

now that my fish room is finished and i have everything, i will post pics soon, focus is on finishing my tank and sumps etc

You think it will be cheaper than just to make new salt water? Not only is it the cost of all the chemicals, but also the fact that you are not really removing water borne diseases / parasites. If you just loop this water you keep it in the tank. But heck, if its an experiment then go for it.

I'd have a small pump in the bottom running slowly through a UV unit, back up to the top. That would sort any parasites. And no need to swap buckets - that isn't very automated! (Unless you have hired help :))

My idea for a QT setup is as follows:

Have a tank with a sharply sloped funnel-shaped bottom. A mesh/grid separates the funnel from the fish area up top, to keep fish topside but all kak/parasites etc fall through.

Funnel feeds directly into a skimmer, from there on to bioballs/whatever you use to keep params in check. From there on through a UV unit and back up to the top.

I am following your build very closely. Best of luck and I can't wait to see everything up and running

Interesting idea you have there @RocketRooster, start a thread of your qt tank so that we don't take over dallasg thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom