• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Looking for *silent* return pump

Reaction score
Good day Sponsors!

I am looking for an alternative return pump to an Ocean Runner 3500. I've built a new tank and the OR3500 is *way* too noisy. I also run an OR2500 (dual returns as well as feeding stuff in the sump). The pumps are on the same power switch so I cannot run them separately at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's the OR3500 causing the huge noise. It may be it's more noisy than it should be, but I need something much much quiter. So, please give me some available options to consider. I've heard Eheim is silent, and the Tunze Silence range seems very silent, but what's available, and for how much?

Also, the OR3500 has already been plumbed next to the sump with PVC connections, so I would have to be able to plumb the replacement in the same way.

Thanks,
Gideon

Last edited:
@dallasg and @verniedlx bought some new DC pumps that are very silent. Not sure of their names, maybe they can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the Sicce range as well - we use them and like them with a low wattage for there flow rate.
Have to agree with David there, we have selected them based on efficiency and runs pretty silent too.

Ive only read.good things aboit the Waveline DC pumps most of the guys wgo have them says they are.almost completly.silent and very power effecient. Ive had EHEIM on my tank before and they were excellent.

I dont know maybe I.am wrong but those DD pumps look like Eden rebranded.
If they are then.that is excellent because I had an eden return pump on a tank and that was the.most silent pump i ever owned and for their size they.pack a.punch

Eden rebrand to spec. D-D demand high quality and there are a a number of quality changes. But as you say, very good quiet pumps.

Wave line dc pump, can't even hear its on and way more silent then sicce

Check out the wattage consumed while busy investigating. Remember your return pump is running 24/7. And using 100W on a return pump where 50W is available - why?
even if the 50W pump is more expensive, in the long run it does make a difference.

Thanks for all the feedback, all. So, I got myself a Waveline DC-5000. I have only tried it out in the salt mixing bin, but it was extremely silent there (without pumping against "max head" of course). I had to double-take to know whether it was actually running. 6 different speeds and a feed button, as well as gradual start-up is great. 5000lph, max head 3m, 40W. Now to get it plumbed in ...

Awesome..im also leaning towards gwtting thw DC pumps for my skimmer and return.

Hi. Whats the life span of the waveline pumps?
Need to replace My OR 3500 and need something that wont die ever:)
My pump just vibrates when I switch it on and need to take it out of water to get it started again.

No I was just joking. I know there no such thing but i am looking for something that will last. Something that where only the impeller goes not the entire pump.

Just installed a Waveline 10000
I'm impressed.

It is smaller physically than a Water Blaster HW5000

Back
Top Bottom