Johan's 720l

go with the slim over flow and save the real eastate in the tank for scaping and swimming area.

nice to hear that the stands getting done.

how are your plans for lighting and equipment comming along

Hi Crispin,

I was also thinking of going with the slim overflow.

Equipment wise, I have bought a DNW250. Muz advertised 3x 250w MH's. I have sent him a pm and am waiting for him to get back to me. I'll get some T5 actinics to supplement.

When all of that is in place, I can start looking at the substrate and live rock.

Hi Crispin,

I was also thinking of going with the slim overflow.

Equipment wise, I have bought a DNW250. Muz advertised 3x 250w MH's. I have sent him a pm and am waiting for him to get back to me. I'll get some T5 actinics to supplement.

When all of that is in place, I can start looking at the substrate and live rock.
nice skimmer, good move :)

250W MH are great and three will cover that tank nicely, althouigh do remeber that they need to be suspended a distance off the water and thus you have a hanging unit to plan. Just take into account where you plan to place the tank and make sure that you dont get too much light spilling out from above the tank into the room as that can be irratating. Nothing thats diffifult to overcome though and those lights will give you ample room to plan corrals and clams etc :)

I also have OR3500 pump on dibs to use as my return pump.

Once I get the skimmer, I can see what space I have left under the tank so that I can start building the sump.

I was reading todays thread on DSB's and am still wondering if I should go that route, as I would need an enormous DSB for this tank and I do not have that much space available.

Go for the slim overflow and dsb,other wise which method you gonna use?

zeo etc on a large tank adds maintenance costs compare to dsb and phos remover or refugium.

As for substrate why not do playsand? leave the aragonite for calcium reactors in my opinion as it doesn't really do much for your tank as a substrate unless you like the look.

I am busy building my lighting unit. I have decided to go with 80w T5's. Going to get some Alanod to make the reflector and going to bend it in V shapes with the T5 in the V.

Just a few questions:

1. How far from the water surface do I need to place the lights?
2. How much heat do the T5's generate? Could I make the lighting unit from wood? Obviously I'd keep the ballasts external to the lighting unit.
3. The tank is 600 wide. How many T5's would fit in next to each other? I know the reflectors will make a diff, but more or less...

I am busy building my lighting unit. I have decided to go with 80w T5's. Going to get some Alanod to make the reflector and going to bend it in V shapes with the T5 in the V.

Just a few questions:

1. How far from the water surface do I need to place the lights?
2. How much heat do the T5's generate? Could I make the lighting unit from wood? Obviously I'd keep the ballasts external to the lighting unit.
3. The tank is 600 wide. How many T5's would fit in next to each other? I know the reflectors will make a diff, but more or less...

1.I keep mine 2cm away from the water surface to get maximum penetration into the water.Others keep it up to 15cm away but remember you have a deep tank,so the lower you go the better.

2.They generate quite a bit but since the globe is longer it also looses heat quicker than mh hence the surface of the globe wont be as hot as mh,if the hood is a closed type then ensure there is adequate ventilation through it.wood wont be a problem,you should probably seal it with wood treatments to ensure water vapour and spray doesn't get to it.

3.With smallish reflectors you could probably fit 8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom