Hair algae help plz

Reaction score
Hi guys

My son's 50L nano has a serious hair algae problem
It's growing like grass on the rocks
I realise that the tank is too small to add a tang
Any other options or suggestions please?

how old is the tank? has it cycled properly?

if yes on the second question you can add a mower blenny (Salarias fasciatus)

what fish do you have?

your tank its fully stocked now... actually over stocked. adding another fish can be a problem

Ok
They really small though

20131105_165203.jpg

awesome tank. I guess the mower blenny is a good option for you then. only problem is that they won't eat the hard stuff only the the real soft algae

To manually remove this algae you may pull it, tooth brush it or scrub it off the rock easily. This may work better if the rock is out of the water.

To remove this algae using a clean up crew you may use hermit crabs, turbograzers, sea hares, emerald crabs and urchins. Yet even with a clean up crew it may grow back fast.

You may now try to identify problems that may cause this algae in the first place, hereby you may be able to prevent it rather than cure it.

Problems such as phosphates, nitrates, iron and potassium can make this algae grow. RO water for top up is a must.

Your best bet to preventing this algae from taking over is to maintain weekly water changes, apply good husbandry on your filtration and perform manual/natural algae removal as it grows.

magnesium and alkalinity levels that are in check may discourage green hair algae.

To starve the algae is another option, do this by using filter media in a bag or phosban reactor or a macroalgae like chaeto to reduce nutrients. Increase the frequency of your water change routine, taking the opportunity to siphon out as much hair algae as you can each time.

Old light tubes tend to drift towards the red spectrum, and fuel the growth of hair algae so consider replacing them if they are old.

Last edited:
Go talk to your lfs and arrange to rent a sea hare. What I mean is you pay the full price. Put it in your tank and when it has mowed everything in sight return it to petshop for whatever credit they will give you ( 50 percent usually) ps I have done this before too

Go talk to your lfs and arrange to rent a sea hare. What I mean is you pay the full price. Put it in your tank and when it has mowed everything in sight return it to petshop for whatever credit they will give you ( 50 percent usually) ps I have done this before too

I have never seen sea hares in this place of EL.

Back
Top Bottom