Filthy's 128L Cube

BAD NEWS:

so i was away for about two weeks and left instructions with my domestic to kindly add 2 ml of NO3 PO4 - X daily and went about showing her how to measure...
seems she followed my instructions but mistakenly used the wrong side of the measuring cup and actually dosed approx. 30ml per day :m33:

long story short, clowns & shrimp died along with the pulsing xenia, carnation & a purple mushroom. the water was actually slimy to the point that i asked if she had perhaps thrown in some sunlight liquid? the PH was below 7!!!!

After battling with water and waiting it out, tank is back in shape and slowly getting there. been using Balance & eight.four to pick the Ph up once more.

survivors consist of the bi-colour blenny, scarlet reef hermit, blue legged hermit, nassarius, turban snail various zoas, carpet anemone, hammer and few other mushrooms.
The other thing i noticed is i now longer see any signs of star fish or pods running about on the rocks like they used to.

pod population is starting over co si cn see the teenyweent white specs all over the glass.

any ideas/suggestions on what i could stock in the next few months?

Ouch sorry dude, I am surprised the blenny survived and not the clowns. Clowns are usually hardy fish so are xenia. good luck hope it gets sorted soon.

shocking news, almost one of those events that make you rethink keeping a tank.

Sorry man, basically to be safe, I'd just to daily water changes for a while to, slowly, try correct everything.

Thanks

Ouch sorry dude, I am surprised the blenny survived and not the clowns. Clowns are usually hardy fish so are xenia. good luck hope it gets sorted soon.

i know! was heartbreaking to see the clowns like that. i actually decided to let the one go as he was strugglingto breathe so didnt want to see him suffer.

the xenia almost vanished completely - the blenny had some of his stress stripes but he is 100% back to normal - strange little fish that one.

Good news: parameters are all in check after last nights tests.
Will continue to run tank without anymore fish for at least another month and then decide on new inhabitants to join blenny.

Thanks

i know! was heartbreaking to see the clowns like that. i actually decided to let the one go as he was strugglingto breathe so didnt want to see him suffer.

the xenia almost vanished completely - the blenny had some of his stress stripes but he is 100% back to normal - strange little fish that one.

Good news: parameters are all in check after last nights tests.
Will continue to run tank without anymore fish for at least another month and then decide on new inhabitants to join blenny.

So the xenia basically melted. :eek: Good news is you on the wright track again. I myself have ended fish suffering before so I know that feeling. I have a small 60L tank with only HOB filter that I experiment with and its almost 3 months now and still going strong and I have the same blenny in there love him. Also have a rainfordi goby and clown goby and they doing great.

So the xenia basically melted. :eek:

melted is actually the perfect word to describe what happened, they simply shrivelled up and then ceased to exist.

added two new tank mates on the weekend thanks to Jade at Aquarium World. - a neon blue Damselfish :thumbup: (been looking for one for months) as well as a sand sifting goby.
My initail thought was it was gonna be a problem with the blenny but so far so good, they have all noticed each other but nobody bothers anybody else.
the Goby has been tunneling like crazy, the damsel just floats around in its awesome beautiful blue and the blenny darts around between his caves.

so i havent actually seen the damselfish since friday :(
i'm confused as there arent any other predators in the tank?
theres just the two clowns, blue legged hermit, scarlet reef hermit, nassarius, the watchman goby & the bicolour blenny - the only creature that could cause another to disappear would be the carpet anemone but surely it couldnt have ate the damsel?

any ideas guys?

so about two weeks ago i got two antheia's. later that day i was reduced to one Antheia as the carpet anemone decided to capitalize on one swimming to close :eek:
the carper has since been removed from the tank as i suspect it was the culprit for many of the smaller fish going AWOL.
Carpet has since been relocated to its new home.
Unfortunately the second antheia wasnt looking too good on saturday evening, which was wierd as she was fine only a few hours prior, on sunday morning i saw Simon (blue legged hermit) busy with its remains.

I've also got another neon Blue damsel along with 2 chromise so my current list is :

- two clowns
- bicolour blenny
- diamond watchman goby
- neon blue damsel
- 2 chromis
- blue legged hermit
- scarlet reef hermit
- nassarius snail
- large Green mushroom (seriously, this thing is almost 12cm across and still growing)
- various zoas
- birdsnest
- pin cushion
- hammer
- lumo green GSP

i've also had some incredible macro algea growth, will post a pic for some input

thats me for now then. thanks for looking

so heres the macro algae i mentioned in my previous post

anybody know what it is? good / bad?

it seems to be growing far more rapidly than it did when it started out

2qw1ulu.jpg

so heres the macro algae i mentioned in my previous post

anybody know what it is? good / bad?

it seems to be growing far more rapidly than it did when it started out

2qw1ulu.jpg

Not an expert but if algae grows faster it's because it has nutrients to feed on. Like phosphate and stuff. Do you still have xenia?

thanks for the feedback guys.

manually removed it on Friday.

regarding nutrients, i have been dosing NO3-PO4 - X to keep algae in control and havent noticed any excess growth apart from this macro

Back
Top Bottom