DSB Setup for Beginners

the metamorphasis of my bed has taken about 6 weeks, from day one i have had a reading of zero in my tank with regards to nitrate, however i also have about thirty kilos of live rock maybe a bit more.

Jacob Zuma new ANC leader. Blow my socks off. Justice moves in strange ways.

Now back to the topic. Will respond shortly Kevin

Gr8 topic guys,

Going to be building a new tank and was thinking of how I was going to build the sump.

Tank will be about 400L (550x550x1500) w x h x l
and total sump about 100L (430x1000) w x l

My Q's

1. How much surface area should I be aiming for on the DSB?

2. At what stage should the water flow over the sand, Eg before or after the skimmer, bio balls (if recomended ??) etc.

thanks

Kev i reckon it did help quiet alot i did not dig to deep to get some anoxic media, about 500mm it stank really bad. but yeah in all i think it did help, from what i have read a dsb could take a while to kick in , i am not saying that mine is working 100% , i would not actually now if it is or not , but yes if i compare mine to some others that have been running for a while i would say the life is on a par with your older dsb's.

First and foremost i am playing devils advocate here, in an attempt to learn from you. What i repeat are things that my limited rational tells me to be true from things that i have heard or read about. As a kid i spent a lot of time in the harbour mainly fishing and sailing. Species like russsel snapper and glassies were visible every metre when walking along the piers. Gunards were dime a dozen. I still enjoy the walk and i always ask fisherman when they last caught a gunard. The answer is hardly ever. Glassies are still around but you really have to look hard to find them. So for me the effects of pollution are real and visible.

Please expand on this. If you take the anoxic layer in a sandbank, granted you will find some compunds in varying stages of decomposition but these will be mostly your organic wastes that the anoxic bacteria feed on.
If you must then a teaspoon. But still be selective of your source.

The pollution coming in with the stormwater is mostly various PAH's (fuels and oils), E. coli and various metals. None of these are likely to accumulate in any great concentrations in the sand on theh sandbank. By far the greatest concentrations of these are either flushed from the harbour or bound onto the silts on the bottom of the deeper channels, or (to a far lessor degree) taken up by filter feeding organisms.

Jeez the thought gives me the creeps. You have mentioned all the scary ones in one sentence. I look at the amount of waste my BB collects in one week, with massive amounts of flow and somehow do not believe our harbour does the same.ie Flush as effectively as that. Granted sea water will neutralize and hide many pollutants to the point that we cannot detect, but they are still there. Metals are frequently discussed as being the cause of sudden RTN cases

The anoxic layer is easily discernable once you dig down into it. Taking sand from this layer will provide a population of anoxic bacteria and (I would have thought - Tridan's experience seems to refute this though) may speed the process of maturing the sandbed.

If it improves by inoculating with a strain/s that are more effective then i am all for it. But if it raises the risk of introducing unknowns just to accelerate maturation then i must disagree.
The bulk of this sand is largely silicate/ sandstone based. We often refer to nutrients being absorbed and retained, and we also refer to the potential leaching effects of sandstone. In my opinion this sand is made of the very components that we fear leaching, but in a finer consistency. Add to that your references to these being bound onto the silts...whose to know when these will become soluble maverick invaders.

We go to great lengths to limit the unknown...ie paying the equivalent of a small countries GDP for substrate....just to know that what we have is the best. Great lengths to cleanse....10% water changes and cooking rocks for 4 months ...these things for me are extreme; but damn the results cannot be compared to the old disciplines.

yip, this thread is helping me alot,i'll get my new sump(dsb) running next week.:slayer:

Gr8 topic guys,

Going to be building a new tank and was thinking of how I was going to build the sump.

Tank will be about 400L (550x550x1500) w x h x l
and total sump about 100L (430x1000) w x l

My Q's

1. How much surface area should I be aiming for on the DSB?

2. At what stage should the water flow over the sand, Eg before or after the skimmer, bio balls (if recomended ??) etc.

thanks

I would have skimmer first, then DSB and then return chamber, as much space for dsb as possible. (no bio balls)

Shout is you would like a pic:thumbup:

STANDARDSUMPflowdirection.jpg

this is Mille's idea that i just redrew, its simple yet very effective

make the first chamber big enough for your skimmer and the last one a big enough for your return plus a little bit for evaporation

I would have skimmer first, then DSB and then return chamber, as much space for dsb as possible. (no bio balls)

Shout is you would like a pic:thumbup:

Thanks for the pic Kanga, Why do you say no Bio balls? and wouldn't it be better to first drain your supply water thru filter cloth before the skimmer? Thanks for the help, wanna build my sump 1st time right.:slayer:
</IMG></IMG>

Thanks for the pic Kanga, Why do you say no Bio balls? and wouldn't it be better to first drain your supply water thru filter cloth before the skimmer? Thanks for the help, wanna build my sump 1st time right.:slayer:
</IMG></IMG>

Bio ball trap detritus and eventually end up becoming a nitrate factory.

I occasionally add some filter wool on the pane between the skimmer and the dsb. leave it for no more than 3 days before i take it out or change it for new.

Ask away, its cheaper, easier and a lot less frustrating than doing it wrong:thumbup:

Kanga, do you use any thing other than the wool as a mechanical filter?

Nope, on the odd occasion if I have small particles floating in my tank I just skim wetter for a day.

But no filter floss, i would imagine 25 % of the time, the rest of the time without

o.k small question?
Does araganite "los op"in a dsb over time?
Is it true that the ph in the bottom of the dsb is 6.2 - 6.8?

My DSB is currently 70mm in depth filled with playsand, I need to get it close to 150mm and want to fill the remainder with sugar-fine aragonite. Is this ok?

Very interesting thread, thought me alot.

Question: How do i seed my DSB if I can't get a sample from an established DSB ?

Back
Top Bottom