Decided to install a Scrubber

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
After the algae bloom in my tank, I went back to the drawing board and made a few changes.
a) I've changed 4 T5's to PowerChrome Aqua Blue+.
b) I've installed a much bigger return pump (from 1200 lph to 5300 lph)
c) I've build an algae scrubber that runs of the overflow.

At the moment I only have 2x 20W AqualGlo Tubes with rough reflectors in, but will replace that soon to a lower Kelvin rating. It has only been two days, but already there is some notable growth taking place. I will continue to run my skimmer though... The first picture looks a bit dark, but that is due to the high shutter speed of my camera... the second shows photo gives a more realistic view of the light intensity.

37124efc9a6d97622.jpg

37124efc9b2fc95ec.jpg

So hopefully it will help to reduce the algae in the display tank.

p.s. I think I'm starting to find a liking in the DIY part of the hobby.

Looking good Phil and I know exactly how you feel about the DIY side of marine - busy putting a tank together myself for the first time and I'm loving it.

Post more pics of how you put it together - pretty please :p

Will post photos of the setup soon.

The screen is 350mmx350mm

I have 2x 20 W Tubes about 11000Kwith a pink tint installed a the moment. But I know that this is not correct, as I really need 3000K bulbs with a combined output of about 150 - 180 Watts.

The flow rate of the return pump is rated at 5600 but due to the head and inline chiller it delivers about 3800 l/hr.

oh yes...about two week or so ago I had my water tested at Dorry's
The parameters are:
Nitrate - 10
Phosphate - 0.03
PH - 8
Alk - 6.1
Calcium - 490
Magnesium - 1480
(this was before I started using RO water to top-up)

(this was before I started using RO water to top-up)

If you were using tap water to top-up, then that could have been a huge reason for Algea bloom!

Glad you switched to RO water!
Good luck with the scrubber!

Back
Top Bottom