Corraline Algae! Good or Bad

Do you like corraline algae?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Peeps - just a "heads up". And a quick question (I often ask this). How many of you okes actually SCUBA dive?

Of those - who has seen HUGE AMOUNTS of corralline algae on coral reefs? I for sure have NOT. There is indeed SOME. But not enough to cover vast areas of rock.

Corralline algae only grows in specific circumstances. Too much light - no corralline. Too little light - no corralline. Too much phosphates, no corralline. Too much red in the light spectrum - no corralline. Too much blue in the light spectrum - no corralline.....

So - yes. A limited amount of corralline algae is great to have. BUT like everything else - TOO MUCH of it is a bad thing!

Yup there are many views on Coralline algae and for the record i do not particularly like a tank covered in it. But because i do not like the look does not mean that it is a no no, or detrimental to your live rock. I have many systems with various degrees of propagation and cannot say that any ones LR filtering is better or worse than the other due to Coraline. I have picked one system that is densely propagated and will comment here on. First some PIC's

coral00008-1.jpg

Canon12_5_09078.jpg

Canon12_5_09084-1.jpg

Canon12_5_09076.jpg

This particular tank is 3000mm(l) x 450mm(w) x 650mm(h) +- 900l with all sump and overflows considered. Circulation is by means of 4 seio pumps (i can't rem off hand the models). Filtration is simple. Overflow to sump with BIO balls and ceramic rings to a division for the one Jagger 300w heater to a DSB (the dsb is purely a 150mm sand bed with no light chito etc) then return. A deltec apf600 does the skimming and a PO4 reactor with rowa does it's thing. Lights are 6x 80w Aquablue+ & 2 x 80w Actinic+ T5.

The tank has no SPS or LPS but houses a number of softies and an anemone. Fish are nothing special other than a dory and a navarchusthat keeps the aiptaiser at bay.

A Water change of 100l is done once a month. and the salt used is tropic marine pro reef. NO Calcium, iodine, strontium, marine snow or additives are used. The only thing feed is frozen foods for the fish.

Over the past 4+ years, Nitrates hover between 5 & 10ppm and PO4 between 0,008 & 0,015.

Considering this example and others that we maintain no alarming effect or damage can be observed to the LR. I Take it from Bob the (reef) builder's post he experiences the same as we do.

From a viewpoint as to what coralline on LR looks like in it's natural habitat one only has to observe the LR as it is made available from the retailers. Some LR like the Kenya LR is sold as Kenya Red or Kenya Green, depicting the colour of coralline or algae. The Sri Lankan LR is also reasonably covered in coralline. I must admit that as a fairly new diver i did not at first notice coralline algae in abundance on the reef, concurring what JB says. However it was pointed out to me that the reason is because, one needs to put a red filter on ones mask or shine a bright light on the reef to see the coralline. I will check if this is so on my next dive.

So my view is coralline is OK if it blows your hair back. And i believe it does not have a dramatic effect on LR filtering capabilities. It will not stop Bryopsis or Valonia from growing and it does make a tank apear clean.

Does it eat up all your calcium? Hmmm.... not sure, as the example tank is not dosed kalkwasser or calcium in any form and the ca remains a steady 424ppm, KH6 & pH 8.0-8.1 So the only source of ca can come from the salt water, LR or calcite substrate.

Yup there are many views on Coralline algae and for the record i do not particularly like a tank covered in it. But because i do not like the look does not mean that it is a no no, or detrimental to your live rock. I have many systems with various degrees of propagation and cannot say that any ones LR filtering is better or worse than the other due to Coraline. I have picked one system that is densely propagated and will comment here on. First some PIC's

coral00008-1.jpg

Canon12_5_09078.jpg

Canon12_5_09084-1.jpg

Canon12_5_09076.jpg

This particular tank is 3000mm(l) x 450mm(w) x 650mm(h) +- 900l with all sump and overflows considered. Circulation is by means of 4 seio pumps (i can't rem off hand the models). Filtration is simple. Overflow to sump with BIO balls and ceramic rings to a division for the one Jagger 300w heater to a DSB (the dsb is purely a 150mm sand bed with no light chito etc) then return. A deltec apf600 does the skimming and a PO4 reactor with rowa does it's thing. Lights are 6x 80w Aquablue+ & 2 x 80w Actinic+ T5.

The tank has no SPS or LPS but houses a number of softies and an anemone. Fish are nothing special other than a dory and a navarchusthat keeps the aiptaiser at bay.

A Water change of 100l is done once a month. and the salt used is tropic marine pro reef. NO Calcium, iodine, strontium, marine snow or additives are used. The only thing feed is frozen foods for the fish.

Over the past 4+ years, Nitrates hover between 5 & 10ppm and PO4 between 0,008 & 0,015.

Considering this example and others that we maintain no alarming effect or damage can be observed to the LR. I Take it from Bob the (reef) builder's post he experiences the same as we do.

From a viewpoint as to what coralline on LR looks like in it's natural habitat one only has to observe the LR as it is made available from the retailers. Some LR like the Kenya LR is sold as Kenya Red or Kenya Green, depicting the colour of coralline or algae. The Sri Lankan LR is also reasonably covered in coralline. I must admit that as a fairly new diver i did not at first notice coralline algae in abundance on the reef, concurring what JB says. However it was pointed out to me that the reason is because, one needs to put a red filter on ones mask or shine a bright light on the reef to see the coralline. I will check if this is so on my next dive.

So my view is coralline is OK if it blows your hair back. And i believe it does not have a dramatic effect on LR filtering capabilities. It will not stop Bryopsis or Valonia from growing and it does make a tank apear clean.

Does it eat up all your calcium? Hmmm.... not sure, as the example tank is not dosed kalkwasser or calcium in any form and the ca remains a steady 424ppm, KH6 & pH 8.0-8.1 So the only source of ca can come from the salt water, LR or calcite substrate.

I dig this it looks fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to throw a spanner in the works... This paper used crustose corraline covered rocks in their experiment on the filtration capability of live rock... Its not a comparison unfortunately tho....

Effects of live rock on the reef-building coral Acropora digitifera cultured with high levels of nitrogenous compounds

Yeong Shyan Yuena, , Seitaro S. Yamazakia, , Takashi Nakamuraa, b, , Gaku Tokudac, and Hideo Yamasakia, ,
aFaculty of Science, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, 903-0213, Japan
bAmakusa Marine Biological Laboratory, Kyushu University, Kumamoto, 863-2507, Japan
cTropical Biosphere Research Center, COMB, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, 903-0213, Japan
Received 19 December 2008; accepted 7 June 2009. Available online 17 June 2009.
Abstract
Reef-building corals are sensitive to excessive nitrogenous (N) compounds. To maintain levels of inorganic nitrogenous compounds low in coral aquaria, various technologies, mechanical, chemical and biological, have been applied. As one of the biological techniques, “live rock,” which can be defined as a dead coral skeleton covered with crustose coralline algae (CCA), has long been applied for coral aquaria. Until recently, however, there has been little evidence for the effectiveness of live rock in removal of N compounds from coral aquaria. Demonstrating comparative experiments with live rocks, here we report that the live rock is capable of removing N compounds and reduces the mortality of reef-building coral. We cultured the reef-building coral Acropora digitifera with the sea cucumber Holothuria atra as a natural nitrogen producer. H. atra increased the concentration of the inorganic N compounds (NH4+, NO3− and NO2−) that resulted in high coral mortality. The presence of the live rock remarkably reduced the concentrations and sustained a high coral photosynthetic activity. We detected the functional genes amoA and nirS within the live rock, suggesting the occurrence of both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. These results support the idea that “live rock” is an effective biofilter that can maintain water quality suitable for reef-building corals.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=9936489b2b55b3059904e7228586ca33

A few more interesting visuals and observations from the example tank.

I lifted some of the rock to see how badly the Coraline had encrusted the LR. I was very surprised to see that very little of the rock was so called "spoiled". One can see the orange and blue sponge growths along with other life doing very well.

I also did a little primitive test to see if the coralline algae had any PO4. Tested the PO4 of the tank water and the PO4 was <0,01 using a TM test kit. Prepaired a second sample and then broke off a small piece of coraline algae and placed it in the sample. After about 10 minutes the sample with the coraline measured 0,3mg/l. This indicates that the coraline in this tank has PO4. Whether the PO4 is comming of the coraline algae itself or the section where it was broken off of i do not know as the release was very slow to observe by the eye.

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

This PIC is after I swished/shook the rock to see how firmly the coralline was attached to the rock. As you can see not very firmly and most is only attached in parts.

IMG_0793.jpg

These two PIC's are of a "ROSE" i loosened of a rock.

top side

IMG_0790.jpg

Under side.

IMG_0791.jpg

Sorry for the PIC quality. My Iphone

Last edited:
From the little experiment it would seem so. Or could be possible. PO4 will bind to calcium and algae does consume PO4. However i have not read or found a conclusion.

The tank does have a very low PO4 reading. If this is due to the Coralline or Rowa, I am not sure. However the rowa is not changed as often as it is on other tanks we maintain.

but coralline is soooo pretty, it may be a pain to clean but it adds colour and if you have an urchin, it provides it with food

Nemosjan, surely just disturing the rock and flushing out DOC trapped in the rock could bump up your PO4? I think if you were to try the same trick with a piece of LR without corraline you'd get the same results? Really great of you to try these things out and sharing btw!

Try this, put a plastic bag over your face, it has a similar effect when coraline encrusts LR;)

Nope, I don't agree with you here. Coraline only covers the one side of the rock where the light is, so the rest of the thousand holes around the rock is still open to ''breath''.
A plastic bag covers your mouth and nose, and that is the only holes to breathe through - no other holes around your head to breathe from...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Back
Top Bottom