Caulerpa(feather)

Reaction score
I got some feather caulerpa from waldo a time back, it only had two feathers.

i placed this caulerpa in my sump with the grape caulerpa and cheato.

my feather c. made 4 new feathers in the sump, i took it out my sump 3 days ago and placed it in my DT, it made 10 new feathers in 3 days!

warr told me one should only house one type of macro algae, i would really like to know if feather caulerpa would be bad in my DT?

I got a liking in macro algae, i have different types growing in DT why should i get rid of my grape( in sump with cheato) and feather caulerpa?

There are rare cases of caulerpa going sexual, and wiping out entire tanks. IMO it is some of the best algae around and doesn't require hectic lighting like chaeto.

they are very very pretty.i'll take a pic later today and post it.

So if they go sexual they wipe out the entire tank???:(

I have never heard of it going sexual. It probably comes down to the organism being under threat, not enough food, light etc.

I got Anthony Calfo's new book where he discusses macro algae in detail. I can check up for you, but will need a pic for ID because you get different types of caulerpa. They do get sexual and noxious and give off chemicals in the water column if not kept under control. Will post for you 2night.;)

Hey Lanzo,i say chuck the Calupera and replace with Chaeto

Hey Lanzo,i say chuck the Calupera and replace with Chaeto

i have allot of cheato in sump, but this caulerpa(feather) looks blady nice under mh and actanic's
Can't put a pic on tonight, will do it tomorrow.
Info would be very nice thanks andreas:thumbup:

Wow does look REALLY nice. in fact I want to get some macro algae for my display...

i'm going to the farm this Thursday, i'll be back next week wensday, you can come next week Thursday or Friday.

these guys grow at a rapid pace, by then i would have enough to give u:thumbup:

Cool mate! Next week sounds like a plan :) I leave friday for the states so will contact you to make a plan ;)

I leave on 20th so will come round next thurs maybe? ;)

guys its banned in most 1st world countries due to its invasive ways.... avoid using this in your tanks

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Caulerpa Algae[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
FeatherCaulerpa.jpg
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Feather Caulerpa
C. crassifolia
or C. mexicana
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Grape Caulerpa
C. Racemosa
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Flat Blade Variety
C. prolifera
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Scientific Name: Caulerpa sp.
Classification
: Algae
Common Names:
Description:
Caulerpa is a fast growing attractive algae of which there are many variations with leaves that look like ferns, grapes, etc. Not surprisingly, the different types are named after the look of their leaves. All grow rapidly by sending out runners which are held in place by root like holdfasts.

Good or Bad?:
Caulerpa is generally considered good when it stays where it is suppose too, but it can easily become a weed that can be difficult to eradicate in the reef tank. If you introduce Caulerpa into your main tank, either on purpose or accident, keep a close eye on it and prune heavily to keep it in check.

Notes:

Having Caulerpa growing in the reef tank was once considered a sign of success. Today, it is more often considered a sign of trouble as the Caulerpa can quickly spread and become a weed. Caulerpa is usually not kept in the display tank anymore unless a lagoon tank is the primary focus. Most Caulerpa is maintained in filters or refugia where it can be confined. When part of it is harvested from the these systems, it is acting as a nutrient export mechanism. In other words, the nitrates and other compounds the algae absorbs as it grows is removed from the system when a portion of the algae is removed.

Some species, especially Grape C. can go sexual and disintegrate overnight adding substantial biological load to the tank. This can be minimized by heavy pruning which seems to retard this tendency. There is also some evidence that keeping the lighting on 24/7 will prevent this from happening. This is obviously only an option when the algae is housed in a refugia or sump. Herbivorous fish like tangs will sometimes help to keep the Caulerpa in check.

Caulerpa growth seems to be best under medium to high intensity, low color temperature lighting. Inexpensive Mercury Vapor or outdoor PC lighting works well when trying to maximize the growth of Caulerpa for filters or refugia. It will even grow vigorously under normal incandescent lighting.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]​
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom