Base for Live Rock

Reaction score
I like to keep my rocks off my substrait as much as posable but most of my rocks are large and heavy because I collected them in the sea.
Much of my new rock is hollow PVC with cement coating it. I am soon going to re aquascape and I will keep the rocks lifted off the gravel with these
structures. When it is in the tank under the real rocks, it should not be visable except for the column legs.
This first picture is of course the construction.
The thing cost less than a buck and took about an hour to complete
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

I use 50mm PVC pipe, laying flat on the base of the tank. LR stack lies on top of the pipes.

Reason I rather let the pipes lie flat compared to use short upright standpipes, is that I feel I have a better weight destitution with the rock laying across 2 or 3 pieces of 200mm long pipes. Standpipes will have a smaller pressure point on the bottom glass. I put the pipes laying from front to back of the tank. Only thing I need is 2 or 3 small pieces of LR that I place in front of the pipe, in front of the opening, there where you can see it. So I have this big cave underneath.

Time needed, how much time do you need to cut 3 pieces of PVC pipe? Even the most DIY challenged people should be able to complete it in 30 minutes :blush:

Can someone please tell me what kind of cement is that? and does it have ANY affect on the water?

Looks awesome by the way:thumbup:

I like to keep my rocks off my substrait as much as posable but most of my rocks are large and heavy because I collected them in the sea.
Much of my new rock is hollow PVC with cement coating it. I am soon going to re aquascape and I will keep the rocks lifted off the gravel with these
structures. When it is in the tank under the real rocks, it should not be visable except for the column legs.
This first picture is of course the construction.
The thing cost less than a buck and took about an hour to complete
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Looks good! :thumbup:

Is it just plain old cement or do you mix it with salt and aragonite like DIY live rock?

I also want to build a structure like this, and didn't know how to hide the pipe, this is an awesome idea!

I used a vegetable rack and modified it to stack rock around it. What do you think?

picture.php

Boegie, that looks great. I use regular cement. It is called Sakrete here in the States and it is ready mixed cement, just add water.
Here are more pieces I use to support the rock. It is all hollow so it provides more area for bacteria.
IMG_1006.jpg

I have a lot of rock like this, I just like it better than my real rock that I collected, I can build it in any shape and it is practically free.
You can't buy rock in these shapes because it would break in transit.
IMG_1009.jpg

This 4 foot piece is shown during construction and the completed piece.
Rock-1.jpg

This 5 pound piece is solid and is built by cementing together smaller scrap pieces of spare rocks.
Rock001.jpg

You can see that long skinny piece here above and to the right of the moorish Idol. This picture is about 10 years old
CopyofDSC00922.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom