2 snails 1 coral ID please

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Can anyone ID the snails and confirm if they are good or bad please.

Also have this coral on a rock, not sure what it is.

DSCN1703.JPG
DSCN1704.JPG
DSCN1705.JPG
DSCN1707.JPG
DSCN1692.JPG

Hi Jaco,

3rd and 4th pic is a sundail snail. Remove those from your tank. They will eat your zoa's

first one
Coralliophilidae clathrata - live on corals, hydrozoans and anemones. Part of the super family Muricoidea. Muricidae also belong to the same super family.

Second snail
Architectonicidae, or what is commonly called a sundail.

Remove both snails.

Thanks @Tafelsout thats a nice link however I dont think its a plant or macroalgae. It changed position. It went from the side that I took the photo to the opposite side and is lying on the substrate at the moment. The angle is too bad for a photo and is even hard to see as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh o_O you have some interesting critters there. Good luck with that thing. Hope it is nothing bad. Will follow the post to see what the pro's say.

Ill see if I can take a better photo tomorrow when they are all settled in.

So I moved the rock and now it is on/in the substrate?? Anybody know what this is? There is a smaller one still on the rock in photo 2.

Also what is all the purple/red hair in between the zoas?

DSCN1716.JPG
DSCN1717.JPG

The red algea looks like Gelidium species. The other looks like grape culerpa. Photos are very blue so for me I.D is difficult.

@NJH is it a bad thing the Gelidium species?

Torch shone on it, and a zoomed in pic.

The branches are green and the nodules are purple.

DSCN1720.JPG
DSCN1721z.jpg

Looks like star polyp nudibranch. But not sure

Last edited:
Hi @CheriS I dont think its a nudibranch. Im pretty sure it has a foot like an anemone. It "planted" itself into the substrate and has 6 disticnt branches. It opened into a star shape and has been in the same spot ever since it moved from the zoa rock. The smaller one that is still on the zoa rock has 4 branches. It is very pretty but I dont want it if its going to open a black hole and suck everything in! Also I would like to know how to care for it if it is safe to keep. It seems as if its really not a common coral this in the hobby?

Back
Top Bottom