Zooxanthella Question

tekkengal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a bit curious lately as to whether the zooxanthella is the same type used by anemones, clams, coral etc?
i.e. If an sps colony was bleached, could it use excess zoox expelled from, say, an anemone?

Would anyone care to educate me on this? :blush:

zooxanthellae is like chlorophyll (the green stuff in plants/leaves).

I doubt SPS have much zooxanthellae...

But I'm no expert.

Can do, article isnt too bad. Dont bother reading Material and methods. Basically read the introo, look at the pictures and read the discussion/conclusion.

Can do, article isnt too bad. Dont bother reading Material and methods. Basically read the introo, look at the pictures and read the discussion/conclusion.

Hahahaha, said like a true student who knows a thing or two about writing papers.
Basically, microscopic symbiotic plants that live within coral and anemone tissues. They convert nutrients like N and P and C (in the presence of light) into sugars (food) that are used by the zooanthellae and coral for food. In turn, corals provide a "safe" home.

This is a very simplified version of what happens and the biological pathways are very complex.
Good article David.

Hahahaha, said like a true student who knows a thing or two about writing papers.
Basically, microscopic symbiotic plants that live within coral and anemone tissues. They convert nutrients like N and P and C (in the presence of light) into sugars (food) that are used by the zooanthellae and coral for food. In turn, corals provide a "safe" home.

This is a very simplified version of what happens and the biological pathways are very complex.
Good article David.

Thanks Carlos. :)
I think I should have worded my question better though as I was trying to determine if zoo hosted by one organism, e.g. sps could also be hosted by other organisms such as anemones etc. :blush:

Yes they can, I have read that not all zooanthellae are specific to one species, they can be absorbed by species of other taxa. I assume, however, that by natural selection it would be easier to be taken up by other organisms that have adapted specifically to your own cell structure.

Back
Top Bottom