Zoos in a tank

Reaction score
I Have been thinking about this a lot lately. I do not have much "Holes" in the rockwork to place corals etc anymore, and was wondering if I can attach zoos to the visible rocks to hide the rockwork, but, will zoos grow anywhere with any type of flow, or will it only grow at certain places in the tank.

I will attach a pic, please eloborate if zoos will completely cover the rock...

Question 02: Will it "smother" liverock or not, and if not, how do you attach them to the rock??

Will it also grow vertically??

Will it look nice amongst the Coral??

Will the Corals disturb the zoos or vica versa???

Here is a pic to show a section of the tank where I would like to attach the zoos:

kleiner1-1.jpg

Sean - I think that this will be an AWESOME idea!

To attach - as far as I know - you should / could use some "gut". (fishing line)... I don't think that you can use super glue on them.

Yes - it will look great between the corals on the rocks...
And YES - it could possibly smother the live rock a bit...
And YES - it will grow vertically....
And YES - zoanthids will/should grow anywhere - BUT, I think that they prefer slightly more higher flow.... More hectic flow.....

Yip, I would say they will grow in every available space they can.

Concerning the other corals, only once placed could you tell. Some Zoas are very aggressive and others just seem to not care.

I have both types in my tank

Check out Crispin's tank, give you a good idea ho they grow all over

Zoas are pretty bullet proof and usually grow in most part of our tanks, why not buy small frags and place them where they can grow out over the bare patches, you may get small areas of conflict with different corals but a harmony will be reached and a natural reef should develop.

Thanks so far for the advice: Questions:
Do they sting other coral?
How do I know which ones are the aggressive ones?
The ones we get on our coastline- will the suffice?
Hectic flow means- not in a softie dominated system?

Why buy zoos if they flourish on our coastline or is ther a difference between the ones you buy and the ones we get locally?

Sean, nearly all corals sting to an extent but many corals send out long sweeper tentacles to keep others at bay so if your zoas get to close they will be persuaded to back off a bit ;) you don't need hectic flow, i don't and all my corals seem fine, as do many others i have seen, leave the hectic flow to the twig keepers:lol:

Sean - I was ACTUALLY REFERRING to the zoa's and palyzoanthids on our eastern coast... Look at where you find them - in the zone where VERY rough water sometimes is the norm..... therefor my suggestion of hectic flow. BUT - yes Mike. I agree - they can live quite happily in less hectic flow environments. That's most likely why they are so popular - they are extremely adaptive....

Sean - I think that this will be an AWESOME idea!

To attach - as far as I know - you should / could use some "gut". (fishing line)... I don't think that you can use super glue on them.

Yes - it will look great between the corals on the rocks...
And YES - it could possibly smother the live rock a bit...
And YES - it will grow vertically....
And YES - zoanthids will/should grow anywhere - BUT, I think that they prefer slightly more higher flow.... More hectic flow.....

ive used super glue gel many times on zoo's and it works, just got to stick them to a small piece of rock and then place the rock/ rubble where u want the zoo's to grow and the will soon grow ove the rock. might take awhile for them to completely cover the rock, but this is a waiting game isn't it;)

yeah i just go nuts and glue the suckers on. was also thinkin of covering my LR stand in zoas, but then when i want to move stuff :046: , but hey, your stuff doesnt move so you should be fine:) what is really cool is when they grow up and out into their ball shape:)

Yeah, I have used a lot of super gel on zoa's, works well. Only slight downside is that you have to press really hard for a few seconds on the zoas and squash them, but they are tough buggers, none of mine have had any harm done from the squishing. Just put gel on bottom of frag and straight into tank and press onto rock for 15 seconds, and you have a mounted frag...;)

Yeah, I have used a lot of super gel on zoa's, works well. Only slight downside is that you have to press really hard for a few seconds on the zoas and squash them, but they are tough buggers, none of mine have had any harm done from the squishing. Just put gel on bottom of frag and straight into tank and press onto rock for 15 seconds, and you have a mounted frag...;)

For other members please wear gloves if you use this method, or any other method where you bare skin comes into contact with Zoanthids.

These creature excrete highly poisonous PalyToxin, that can kill you.

lIghty - don't the zoa's excrete a lot of slime? So you wanna tell me the super glue gel actually sticks to the zoa's underwater as well? As would be the case in Sean's tank?

Not really, and their bases are quite easy to glue, but under water i've never tried, always removed them and glued them.

Back
Top Bottom