Urgent help needed Zoa's turning white and dying.

Reaction score
I have a well established tank and for some reason Zoa's keep turning white and dying.
Almost as though they are melting, thought it maybe the lighting so tried putting under a rock , but still the same thing happens.
picture.php

Do you have any water parameters?

Do you do water changes?

Parameters are perfect!
P04 -0
N02- 0
N03- 10
KH-8.0
Salinity 1025
Cal 400
Mag 1320
750 liter
Water changes 20% every 3 weeks and supplements in between.

mine is doing the same. would like to know whats going on. i see you got gha in your tank, but your po4 shows 0ppm

They are in my rescue tank now just want to see if they come right! That is where the picture was taken.

That's weird,
Zoa's supposed to be one of the hardiest corals,

How long after adding them do they start turning white?

They turn white within 2 days and I have tried introducing under rocks thinking it was the LED's .

I am running quad 1.5m T5
and 1.2m LED Unit.

They are in my rescue tank now just want to see if they come right! That is where the picture was taken.

I doubt that big white patch will come right,
It probably smells awful right?

If you have Iodine, give it a dip in Iodine.

You can even give it a rinse in RO water for a short time.(Some down recommend it)
But I have done it previously, Rub off the white parts and leave the other polyps.
Also, Make sure all the polyps are closed before rinsing them.

Hopefully they might get better.

Where did you get them from?

Is your salinity reading/testing 100% correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that big white patch will come right,
It probably smells awful right?

If you have Iodine, give it a dip in Iodine.

You can even give it a rinse in RO water for a short time.(Some down recommend it)
But I have done it previously, Rub off the white parts and leave the other polyps.
Also, Make sure all the polyps are closed before rinsing them.

Hopefully they might get better.

Where did you get them from?

Is your salinity reading/testing 100% correct?

Salinity is 1025 and no funny smell at all and why no other corals are affected?

The palythoas are not affected and grow crazy and I have another small colony of zoa's growing back on a old rock.

If it is a fungus what can one use to treat it?

I read online what looks very familiar is called zoa pox.
They talk about using Furan-2 to treat zoa pox, does anybody know where to get this or any other treatments that are available?

I had the same issue a while ago and a lot of my newly purchased (even my expensive well shipped zoas) just died every time I added them to my tank. I ended up dipping all my Zoas in seachem reef dip and then started dosing Vitamin C. since I started dosing vitamin C my zoas have never looked better and my almost dead colonies are recovering.

Back
Top Bottom