Zoas not opening

Reaction score
Hi guys its been 3 days now that my zoas havent opened. no too sure waht the problem can be. they opened for the first 2-3 days now they've remained closed..,:(

Reaction score
Hi guys its been 3 days now that my zoas havent opened. no too sure waht the problem can be. they opened for the first 2-3 days now they've remained closed..,:(
Can be loads of things - temp, salinity, nudi's. Everything else happy in your tank ?

Reaction score
temp 26
salinity 1024

everything els looks okay, just the green algae and diatoms a bit concerned about. fish are happy chappies!

nudi's?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Geoffrey - how's your zoanthids now? Perhaps rinse them in a iodine/RO water solution - to see if there are any critters that stays in the water (comes off the zoanthids).... Anything that irritates the zoanthids could cause them to stay closed....
It is quite possibly that the phosphates might be a bit high in your tank/water - therefor the green nuisance algae growing.... and possibly also another cause for the zoanthinds to stay closed...

Reaction score
hey bud. yeah they are still closed. a little one was half open this morning, but otherwise no progress. wat ratio must the solution be? pure iodene?

green hair algae seems to have stopped growing. just a bit on 2 rocks, bout 1/2 a cm long. hasn't gotten any worse in the last 3 days. i've noticed this morning that a lot of bubbles are coming out my sand bed. nitrogen?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes - the bubbles coming out of your sand-bed is good - it's both nitrogen (gas) AND oxygen (gas). This means that your sand-bed is starting to really work!

The solution would be +-5 to 10ml Iodine tincture (from a chemist) and +-1.5 litres of water...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Only do the dip for about 10 minutes max Geoffrey.... The zoa's will still be closed, but might quite well open afterwards. OH - yes, when you place it back in the tank, place them in a slightly shady/darker area of the tank. Not the brightest of areas - you can slowly move them back once they have opened up.