Zoa's - Is this normal.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by MrJ, 4 Jun 2012.

1. MrJ

MrJ

My tank is about 2 month old and all Params are correct, except Nitrates is around 10. Please have a look at these Zoa's, got them a week ago, but some, about 4-5 opened a lot bigger and are white in the middle, actually looking sick? Is it normal, what could be the cause?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Achilles

Achilles

lol they not sick just a different species of not so colourful but hardy anemonea that proliferate amongst the more colourful vietnam zoas, they nothing to worry about although they may proliferate more they dont harm the colourful ones

4. rakabos

rakabos

The bigger ones arent zoas, they are palys. They will eventually out compete the zoas on that rock, so in 6 months from now you wont see any zoas, just big brown ugly palys.

5. MrJ

MrJ Thread Starter

Eina

That is not good news, I will try and return them to LFS, if he says no, must I remove them or just leave nature to do their thing? When are you fragging again?

6. rakabos

rakabos

If you know what you are doing, then you can remove them or kill them. I would not advise this at all if you dont know how and dont have the proper protective kit. If you want me to advise, plz PM me. Dont want every tom dick and harry to attempt it. Palys are extremely toxic if not handled correctly.

7. Achilles

Achilles

Those particular "palys" if that is what they are, do not go brown and my experience is they do not overtake the vietnam Zoas but it may differ in different aquariums, I have the exact same as you for over 2 years now, they did not sting the pretty zoas or dominate them in my aquarium in fact on the contrary my zoas are growing faster than them , however this may not happen in your aquarium.

But id advise a wait and see if they grow faster than your zoas and then only take action, they are hardier than the zoas so if your tank does not suit the zoas and it suits them more then they may dominate them

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Eh, I've had those two species do very well side by side. If one starts to dominate, just frag it.

9. Jason-RC

Jason-RC

Those palys can grow at a serious rate. Keep your eye on them.

I know someone that pretty much had their tank taken over my them!

Recent Posts