zoanthid's aint opening.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Krappie, 13 Jun 2013.

1. Krappie

Krappie

Hi everyone.:)
    I haven't been posting much, because I was managing with my tank. But a few days ago my deep sand bed sump, 180l, was leaking. And after emtying it I found it was a crack in the bottom of the tank. I did put up my tank of 50l as a refuge sump just for the time being to cycle. Everything was doing fine and I did water changes for incase. I sealed my tank and tested it, its not leaking anymore, so that problem was solved. I started it up again. Did water changes, now I see my zoas does'nt want to open up.... ? There is a few opened but the rest stays closed... I don't know what could be the problem, I can't see anything bothering them. Can someone please tell me if it ever happend and the zoas survived? :(......I'll post photos of what they looked like before and what they look like now.

Zoas before 1[1].jpg

Zoas after1[1].jpg

Zoas before 2[1].jpg

Zoas after 2[1].jpg

Zoas after 3[1].jpg

Zoas after 4[1].jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i would say give them some time. you had to disturb the DSB in order to get to the crack on the bottom. if you had to remove the DSB from the sump i hope you disconnected the sump from the main tank and the water in the sump should be discarded and replaced with newly mixed water. if you didnt do that probably there were sulphates released in the wared from the DSB which are now stressing the zoas. im not sure if you should use the same sand after the repair for DSB it would be probably better to add new sand

4. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

I did disconnect the DSB from the main tank before I removed the sand so that unwanted things wouldn't go into the main tank. When I started up the sump again I did try to replace all the water that I could with newly mixed water. Do you think they might get better in time?

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

did you have to remove the DSB in order to repair the crack? also did you put back the old DSB after repairing the crack or you put new sand?

6. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Give them time they will open your water parameters changed drastically and was a bit of a shock to them they will come right

7. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

I removed everything from the tank. I didn't use new sand, I used the same sand, I did research before I did that, they said I should use the same sand in order to keep the bacteria that's living in there. Was that a fault?

8. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

Thats good to know thanks, is there anything i can do to stabilize the parameters ? or is it just time?

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

no you did good. what you could've done better is to remove the sand bed in layers. like remove the top 5cm firs and keep it in a dish and then the next 5 cm and keep that in separate dish and the third layer as well. the reason for that is that there are different types of bacteria living in different depths of your DSB and by mixing everything together you are not doing them a big favor. but they should come right in the next few days.

10. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

Now that you mention that, i did remove a layer at the top first and held it seperately, then the bottom in another bucket, but only 2 layers..... ai,, and then i placed them back the one at the bottom and one at the top, hehe thanks for the help, feeling a bit more relaxed about it.

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

so you've done everything right :) nothing to worry about. the zoas would close in order to protect them selfs from whatever is bothering them on the outside. could be predators or water parameters etc. but they are fine inside waiting for better days to come. you should only worry if you see slime building up on top of the closed zoa which would indicate that its probably dead or about to die or that there is some sort of infection going on in the colony

12. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

okey, I'll keep a close eye for slime, some of my green zoas are slightly opening up today hehe, but not completely opened, I was thinking of doing another water change.

13. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

Hi @HOT SAUCE they are still not opening up and my other zoas are also closed now. :( :dft004: :confused1:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

if you can do a water change.. you can never go wrong there. also if you can test for Amonnia nitrates etc. perhaps there is a spike since disturbing the sandbed. also check if there isn't something that has died i the tank and is causing high amonnia levels. i think the problem is definitely in the water parameters but you need to test first and then we can find out what can be disturbing your corals.

is there any slime building up ontop of the zoas.. they would smell very bad if you pick them up and take them out of the water and they are dead.

i had a frag of zoas that never really opened for over 3 months in my tank even thou everything else was doing fine. in fact i have another frag now that is still not opening and its been months since i got it.

15. Smithers

Smithers

I use Iodine with my Zoa's they seem to do better. Hotly debated topic on the net though.

16. Krappie

Krappie Thread Starter

i think i figured out the problem. i tested my ammonia, 100% as it should be, phosphates aswell. copper perfectly fine, and then i got some charcoal, and added that to my refugium tenk in little net bags, its been going a lot better since. and i think it could have been my ph levvel that was suddenly lower with all the water changes, so i dose with ph balance now and they are opening up again, but some of them died :(

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

keep the ph between 8.1 and 8.4, the more stable the better.
    they will grow back :)

Recent Posts