Zoanthid Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Sparky, 14 Apr 2008.

1. Sparky

Sparky

Hi Guys

I have (read had :( ) a pretty large collection of Z's. I added two more fish about 3 weeks ago, and since then the Z's have been in a steady downward spiral. They don't seem to open up anymore, and most along the outside edges are dying off now. I've been watching the fish, but they don't go anywhere near it from what I've seen. Water params haven't changed at all. Could it be something I'm missing? I even thought it may be the water flow, and so turned off the powerhead for 3 days, but no change. Any other ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Sparky, please list the parametrs that you test for and their values, has anything else changed new equipment lights also what is the temp?

4. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Here's the list. It's been stable at these values for the last few months. I test twice a week.

kH - 10
    pH - 8
    NH4/NH3 - 0
    NO2 - 0
    NO3 - 10
    PO4 - 0.1
    Cu - 0
    Ca - 400

Temp may be the issue, it's the only one that fluctuates a bit, because of the load shedding. Min I have seen is 22 and normally its at 26

Nothing else in the tank has changed, other than the 2 fish. Everything (liverock and existing pets) were moved in Jan from a 65L to a 150L. 1 Hermit, 1 Shrimp, 1 Striped Damsel, 1 Tomato Clown, 1 Blue Devil and a couple snails. The Striped Damsel and Blue Devil are the new additions

Last edited: 14 Apr 2008
  5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Can you see anything around the zoas? small spidery like things or small slugs?

6. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Nothing like that no, and I have been watching them like a hawk because they were growing like crazy.

I'm busy setting up a 250L tank, but it won't be ready for a while as I'm waiting for a new cabinet to be built. Problem is at the rate they going I don't think they will even make it...

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Remove the rock and have a really good look around the bases, you never know what might be lurking there. Many of these predators only come out at night, so a night time vigil may be in order - could be a eunice worm

8. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Ok, I'll give this a shot. Where could it have come from though? The Z's have been on this same rock since December/January. I didn't add any of the water that came with the fish. Or is it one of those things that could have been there all along and only now being active?

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Difficult to say, it might not be a predator, but you never know, it has happened before to other people - what other corals are near the zoas? any chance of one of them engaging in a bit of chemical warfare?

10. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Nope, because the colony was so large, it's got its own rock. There's nothing else on there. Nearest one is about 30cm away.

11. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

What colour are these sparky?

Do they seem bleached?

12. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

They definitely don't look as bright as they were. They used to be an almost lumo green...

13. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

It could be that your water is lacking certain chemicals that the zoa needs, there are many chemicals that we can't/don't test for, up your water change regime to try to improve the conditions.

A picture of the zoas would help.

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sparky - and you don't have aptaisia either? Aptaisia can do this as well...

15. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Maybe you should salvage a few polyps and add them to someone else's tank as a back up incase the whole thing dissapear...while you try and pin point the cause.

16. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

I've been changing 10% once a week. How high would you recommend I go without damaging anything else? Or maybe do 10%, but every 3 days?

17. crispin

crispin

i got " slug faces" near my zoa's, seen then twice and they can MOVE bloody fast. once they sence you the bolt hole as fast as possible. i leave them but they are always near the zoas and its only because i have stared for hours at that rock. They are easily easily missed and i have only seen mine twice. but then they not causeing troubles that I can make out:)

18. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Mmm... know what... this may just be it. This piece of rock originally did have. I cooked the rock for a couple weeks and then added it back, shortly after that I added the Z's. Maybe the A's are making a comeback now?? I haven't seen anything prominent, but I'll do a closeup inspection tonight. Maybe move some of the Z's to different parts of the tank.

19. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Could I take the whole piece of rock out with some water and put it in a different container with a small powerhead? What else would I need? Or would it be the whole filtration thing??

20. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

How long would you need to separate it? you would need a heater, powerhead and depending on how long, lights too.

21. Sparky

Sparky Thread Starter

Lights will be a problem. Nuts. Might have to do a McGuyver job here and build a tank from leaves and bird droppings... lol...

I'm going to see what I have laying around at home tonight, otherwise I will start with the water changes and that straight away.

Just find it weird that the fish and everything else seem to be very happy. Been inspecting the fish for signs of disease, but not seeing anything. They always ready for food (feeding twice a day) and swim around constantly

Recent Posts