Zoanthid help " Mikes new setup"

Reaction score
Hi All

I need some help with regards to my button polyp and zoo. They seem to be dying.

My other corals all doing fine such as xenia and mushrooms, if you read my thread "mikes new setup" you can see more info on my tank.

The tank is just over two months
Temp: 27
Alk: 9
Ph: 8.1
Ca: 580 this is a bit high i now

NO3 = 0

What could be wrong

Picture of entire tank and where it is located, see top right next to xenia.

DSC01402.jpg

Close up of the zoo, which is worrying me. Its not really opening, only the first day it was trying to open but not any more.

DSC01405.jpg

Please help

I have them 5 days now, but there are some extensions that seem to be getting thiner and rotting. Now and then i see a powder substance released form the zoo.

How long do they take to open up and should i rather put them in a high flow area?

How much flow do you have in your tank? What pumps are they and whats your return pumps L/H?

Is that a hermit crab in the second pic? (on the zoa's on the left)?
My zoa's tend to close when hermits are walking over them...
Also check for small snails that might be feeding on the Zoa's. (check this at night time)

Some of my Zoa's are in a low flow area of my tank, and they are doing ok. But yes they do like a higher flow.

Is that a hermit crab in the second pic? (on the zoa's on the left)?
My zoa's tend to close when hermits are walking over them...
Also check for small snails that might be feeding on the Zoa's. (check this at night time)

Some of my Zoa's are in a low flow area of my tank, and they are doing ok. But yes they do like a higher flow.

Yes that is a hermit, i see that the hermits sometimes walk over the zoo. I got no snails in the tank.

Do the zoo need alot of lights?

How much flow do you have in your tank? What pumps are they and whats your return pumps L/H?

They are two 2000l/h sun sun pumps and my return is a 2500l/h hailea pump, my water volume is aproximately 450 litres

How would you do an Iodine dip Mek ? The process
Ok usiing TM Pro coral cure. I take out about a 500ml of tank water and place in a bucket. Then add in +- 20ml's of Pro coral cure to the water. Mix it all up and place the infected coral into the solution for about 10-15 minutes. I do shake the coral to make sure all nudis/flatworms (depending on what type of coral offcoarse) etc.. are all out. There after place the coral back into the tank. Pretty straight forward.

Hi All

An update of my zooanthid, they not doing too well, i looked for parasites but could not find any (nudi). So i decided to leave the zoo and see what happens.

Some parts look completely dead while there is still some life on the colony, what should i do. Cut of the dead parts (see picture where it is forming a film over some of the heads) or should i completely remove the zooanthid.

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

Advice please

What type lights do you run? I had some zoa's that did the same in my system (before I upgraded my lighting) until I gave them to a fellow reefer with stronger light(MH's) and they recovered pretty good afterwards. Most Zoa's could be found in very shallow waters and tidal pools in nature and hence get a LOT of light every day. Many believe that they do good in low light but IMO it's not true!

I just checked out your tank thread, your lighting setup is exactly the same as what mine used to be, try putting the zoa's as high up as possible. My brown and green button polyps seemed to do quite well under those lights but I had trouble keeping other zoa's. Believe this could be your problem! Any chance of fitting more t5's or even MH's?

Back
Top Bottom