Zoanthid dominated system

Reaction score
hello all,
i have been thinking of changing direction on my tank slightly and going Fish dominated with a few softies or zoanthid dominated tank. Has this been done, if so anyone have pics???

Will zoanthids compete chemically against each other and it it a viable option to aim at fulling 80cm or so of a reef with zoanthids?

it can be done, just remember that the more rock they cover the less surface area on the rock therefor less biological filtration.

Great idea, Zoas are bullet proof and you should not have a problem with warfare. I reckon this would be one wicked looking tank :)

but trust me when they do die, they can cause alot of trouble!
from my experiance they release alot of kuk into the water when they die, dont know if this has happend to any one else?

ok so i musnt kill them then?

I think it will look great, loosing the surface area won't be a problem if you have decent rock, most of the bacteria will be in the porous insides of the rock.

And no, best not to kill your zoas;)

i will play tonight and move some close, see what it will look like...(yes yes i will take pics, vultures! :)) and see if its viable...easier to break down a reef like that too:)

and i think i can get an angel or 19:)

it can look really cool and work really well... been thinking of doing somthing along those lines for ages..

yea me too. I also want my Zoa's to cober my back glass. There is a tank at the IMAX in gateway that has quite a bit of zoa's on the back. Looks cool...

i am fairly sure i wont be able to cover the reef, but i have 6 or so large collonies and will pack them together and slowly cover the rock with it....i think 1.8 tank might take me a while but i'll let you guys see how i progress:)

check this out...

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk133/reeferlover84/035.jpg?t=1214346477
035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crispin this will look wicked in your system :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
man that does look good....i have orded a few rocks of zoa's and slowly covering the one section of the reef, comming along niceley now....not certail my chock chip star isnt feading on them at times though, bugger just hunkers down amoungst the pollops for ages....but they seem to me ok, just watching him

i will play tonight and move some close, see what it will look like...(yes yes i will take pics, vultures! :)) and see if its viable...easier to break down a reef like that too:)

and i think i can get an angel or 19:)

Won't the Angels chow down on the Zoa's?
I just added a few extra colonies and all my pigmy angels decided to start picking at the one colony...strange seeing as they are still leaving my clams and LPS alone..Maybe that particular colony is nice and tasty..

I have a tank pic at home with a beautiful example on how zoos must "flow" through rockwork, if Mtn network has sorted their shit, I'll try and upload tonight.

always good to visualise your goals. its better for me to see pics than to read how to do it..

Back
Top Bottom