Zoa success

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Seabass, 23 May 2012.

1. Seabass

Seabass

In order to have prolific zoa growth is it predominantly feeding or light that will provide the best results.

What do you think?

Oh and thanks for the input.

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Tagging along, when ever I feed my filter feeders and lps I always feed my zoas too and have seen some grow faster than the rest.

4. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. mandarinman

mandarinman

both. light for energy, feeding for building material eg proteins etc. good quality light and ample food

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would say light is more important. I am yet to see zoas (none of mine do) that show a true feeding response to active feeding. They do like food in the form of nutrients in the water column.

But a very important factor is actually overall stability of the system. Like all corals they dont like to be moved around where the flow etc is different. Its almost like they get into a growing groove and moving them breaks the momentum.

Growth is also very much dependent per coral. I have some zoas that have grown quite a few times its original size and I also have one colony next to my fastest grower that has not grown in 18months.

There is actually so many factors that can influence growth its hard to pin point.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

what sort of light mariusmeyer would you say is correct for zoas

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

To be honest I dont think that they are too fussy. As long as its bright in within the right spectrum they will do very well. My display runs 20K BLV halides and my frag tank is a mix of T5s ranging from 12000K - 20000K.

I even think that they will do well under the lower kelvin globes as well such as cool white energy savers. I have not tried this myself as I dont feel like fighting algae.

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

mariusmeyer so you are saying as long as there is lots of non specific light that this is the most important thing for zoa growth?

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nope. Like I said, it will still have to be within the correct spectrum. I forgot to mention that PAR and PUR of the tubes are also very important.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

well i must say whatever the right recipe is . You have got it

12. roderigo

roderigo

i say :arghh:

13. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Hi man, I've tried screaming at them, it just does not help, but thanks for that. :)

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

defiantly light, but stable water parameters help too

15. brentv

brentv

Mine are weeds... love light and fish poop... :biggrin:

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

how does nutrition affect colouration?

17. SeanH

SeanH

[FONT=&quot]A question - does a skimmer not remove the nutrients? The skimmer is obviously a necessity… How do you guys deal with the if it is skimmed out? Just keep adding OR have the skimmer on at certain times? ALSO would things like carbon etc strip the nutrients out too?

[/FONT]

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

read myvpost nutrients and nutrients

19. DarrenT

DarrenT

I believe as marius said the lights play and effective role in the growth about 7 months i had my tank my zoa's we doing very well and spreading to a rock next to them. Now the last few months the kH of my tank was so low they began too elongate, as if they were stretching for more light ( im currently running a 150W with a 14000K globe. So lighting isn't a problem. I dont know how to actual directly feed my zoa's as the only way i know of them feeding is what the tank produces itself.

20. Mc

Mc

I have also seen a big difference light make, as the zoas lower in my tank never seem to do as well.
    I agree with Marius that they like nutrients in the water colomb, but that is not the main factor, as I feed very heavily due to NPS and it doesn't seem to make them any happier.
    I also believe stability plays a big part, I recently lost a large colony of my favourite zoas when my tank crashed, the funny thing is alot of the zoas around them are doing fine. They seem to be quite erratic, and not always so easy to keep happy.

One thing I have wondered about is if there is any sort of warfare between the zoas, I would be interested to hear if anyone knows about that?

21. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Warfare, that's what I was thinking, have some nice purple zoas with green skirts that all of a sudden started looking crap after they had really looked very well and where spreading over a big piece of rock in the centre of the tank.

But all in all I am going to remove my np pellet reactor today and have upped the 10 and 6 k lighting from 2 hours to 6 hours.

Recent Posts