Zoa Questions

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Kunhardt, 25 Mar 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Two totally unrelated zoa problems I have at the moment...I think they are unrelated anyway.

Firstly - I noticed this afternoon that my metalic pink zoas colony is looking a bit off, half the polyps are closed up and the others are all inverted...like the have almost closed outwards if that makes sense. It is pretty close to my sinularia, could this be causing problems or is there something else that could be wrong, or is it nothing to worry about at all? I am just concerned due to the fact that since i have had them there has not been 1 day when all the polyps havent been open.

Secondly - My colony of green and brown zoas seems to have come loose from the rock it was attached to, it is now hanging over the ledge attached by only the strand of one polyp. I have no idea what has happened there, what should i do to try and sort it out? or should i just let it unattach completely and let it reattach itself to the rocks below it?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

for the first, if its a Sinularia dura, cabbage leather, these are semi-aggressive and need some space between them, they are sometimes toxic to stoney corals, but mine is fine, and i moved him away from my palythoas and they are back to normal

maybe its another coral aggravating him and the zoas are paying the price?

number 2, how close are they to the others?

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Its the tree shape sinularia (was actually sold to me as a Kenya tree) i know they can engage in chemical warfare sometimes, but i was hoping my zoas being maybe 10cm from it was fine. I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

The green ones are pretty close to my frogspawn, but they have been close for a few months now with no problems...could it be maybe they have been dualing it out and the zoas have finally lost?

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I detached the green zoas from the rock yesterday and placed them loose on a rock at the bottom of my tank. They are looking happier already.

As for the pinks, they seem a bit better all opening up again...but the ones closer to the sinularia do seem a bit duller in colour than the rest. Should i move them as a precautionary meassure?

6. Jaak

Jaak

I would move them just to be sure.

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey guys. Good to read this thread before I make big ... Okey, I have "who knows what" kind of zoa. They are brownish and has a solid bright orange circle / dot in the middle. Quite a big colony, almost the size of a round hot dog bun. I have placed a hammer coral above it, and to the left a crispa anemone. To the very far right hand side of the tank I have a leather coral / pin cusion.

I am picking up a green zoa species tomorrow from the LFS (totally green pollyps with a green inside and dot too)

My question is whether this will be wise? I would have placed it right below the pin cusion. Do you think I have too little space for it maybe? Other livestock than what I have mentioned are only mushies, xenia, button pollyps, that type of thing, the only SPS is the hammer coral.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I dont think it would be a problem if u place them near the pin cushion. I was always told to try and work on the 15cm appart rule when placing corals, just to be safe. Be careful though with placing corals near the anemone, it could sting them if too close.
    By the way a hammer is a LPS not a SPS.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Wow. Did not know that. (BTW, I can swear I submitted a reply to this, but now its gone...) Please will you then explain the diffs between the two. I know what LPS and SPS stand for, but I thought only coral that has a soft exo is LPS (soft corals) and those with hard bases in which they can subtract to, are SPS (hard corals)

Please clarify this to me?

10. Apollo

Apollo

Jaco,

LPS and SPS both have hard/calcerous "skeletons" , hence the names Small polyp Stony and Large Polyp Stony corals. With SPS the majority of what we see is part of the "skeleton" with only a thin fleshy part and small polyps visible when feeding. With LPS in some cases it is a little more difficult to see the "skeleton" since the fleshy part of the coral is usually extended away from the skeleton like in the case of eg. Mycedium , Favites and Caulastrea.

Typical "soft corals" such a Zoanthids , Octocorals , Corallimorpharians (mushrooms etc.) do not posess a hard "skeleton" of sorts.

There is actually a pretty good article on RC written by Chris Jury on the naming of corals and why we shouldn't merely refer to them as Soft , LPS & SPS. I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

BTW: I'd be more concerned about the Hammer coral in your tank and it's proximity to the Zoa's . Hammer corals can extend fairly significant sweeper tentacles and this will do the Zoa's no good at all.

Just my 2c;)

Last edited: 27 Mar 2009
  11. Apollo

Apollo

Hey Kunhardt ,

Sorry , I replied to Jaco but not to you.

1. IMO the "inverting" of Zoas and button polyps does not appear to be reason for huge concern. My button polyps and some of my Zoa colonies do this from time to time, but recover very quickly. None of these two softies are close enough to anything aggressive in my tank. I have however seen no decline in either polyp extension or colouration etc.

2. Bear in mind that chemical warfare is not just fought when sweeper tentacles are visible . Chemicals are released into the water in varying concentrations and this can also effect the behaviour of nearby corals. (You probably know this already). This is sometimes quite a mystery to determine the culprit.

Just a thought;)

Recent Posts