Zoa growth

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by rakabos, 30 Jun 2011.

1. rakabos

rakabos

I was curious about how people's experiences are with growth on their zoas and palys.

The fastest growing zoa colony I have has about 1 new polyp every 10 days or so and the slowest, well, hard to say as i dont see much growth at all. Other colonies just melt away for now real reason.

On the paly side, the normal run of the mill brown paly's go bonkers and really grow quickly, and the nuclear greens, I started with 7 polyps, and a few weeks later I have 3 small ones popping up.

I dose iodine once a week a few drops and also calcium once a week. Every two weeks i do a 15% water change to remove nutrients and re-stock trace elements. Running 6x 80W T5's on a 700L tank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

try does Seachem reef plus. I have so many zoas its hard to give and answer but some do well others don't. I find the older they get the better they grow

4. Braco

Braco

I have the exact same experience some of the zoas just dwindle away some of mine don't grow at all..others grow and become a plague ( well sort of)but it sure is a mystery..i have at least about 7 different species of zoas and only one paly...which is growing at a phenomenal rate..which has actually stung me a couple of times..my nuclear greens remains at 11 and i have seen no further growth..but they fully bloomed...

i use Lugols iodine everyday between 6 - 8 drops and Calcium, Magnesuim, Strotinium once a week...water changes every second or third week..

Lightning = 4x 39w T5, 2x T8, 1x 150w DE MH...500l tank..including sump/refugium...

I share your sentiment...:)

5. Tony

Tony

The green palys I got from you have gone mad and the colony has about doubled but they are in the firing line when I feed and catch a lot of food. I have however found that some zoanthids in my tank dont survive and I have to give them away and my ricordea yuma have doubled in size. My florida Rics are extremely slow to grow but a friend of mine with higher nutrients than my self and less lighing have found his rics massive and dividing like mad

6. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Same here Tony, my floridas take a while to split but the Yumas go bonkers

Recent Posts