Zoa Eating Nudibranches?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Slagter, 3 May 2011.

1. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Hey guys and girls...

I have an infestation of the Zoanthus Eating Bastards... Can anyone tell me the best way to dip the corals to get rid of them? I've heard many conflicting stories with this. Some people use Iodine, some don't. Some do Freshwater Dips, Some say it's dangerous to the Zoas.

I went and bought Lugols by Brightwells, and I just want to figure out, what the best method of doing the dips is. I know I need to pH and Temp correct the water to be in line with my tank, but what else can be done?

I would prefer to go the natural extermination route, but I can't seem to find a Coris or Banana Wrasse, and my 6 line does nothing to the nudis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What about CoralRX, that's supposed to be pretty good, never used it myself though.

4. SIMS

SIMS

get coral RX

5. Slagter

Slagter Thread Starter MASA Contributor

DAMMIT!!

I just spent R200 bucks on the blasted Lugols!!! Crap!!!

Thanks guys...

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You can still use the lugols I reckon. When I dipped my zoas/hammer coral I used 1ltr of tank water and 18 drops of lugols. Dipped for 10 minutes and blasted them with a turkey baster to get rid of stuff stuck to it.

I have read that freshwater dips are very stressfull for corals. So its not advised. There is thread on reefcentral in the zoanthids section on the dipping of them using iodine. He actually uses various stuff to make sure anything bad is dead. Will find later and post if you cant come right. Google dipping of zoas.

7. Slagter

Thank dude...

I've googled my heart out on dipping corals... I've found so many different bits of information, that's why I started this thread. There is just so much conflicting information out there, it's hard to find the good through the crap.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Boet, after being here for so long have you not learnt yet to ask first before buying? :tt2: Just kidding, as Marius says, Keep the Lugols, it has many other uses as well.
    Agreed, I had montipora eating nudibranchs on one of my plating monti's so I did the freshwater dip thing, ya well, it killed both the nudi's and the monti.

9. Slagter

I wouldn't fresh water dip the montis, or any other hard coral, for that matter, but I have read that a fresh water dip for Zoas, could be ok, but on another site, that it could also harm the zoas... Also, after reading alot, that's why I bought the Lugols solution, then I hear Zoas react badly to Iodine? What is the truth? I don't know.

@viper357 - :tt2: I know. It's the advice that I've been given. Also, the LFS I got the Lugols from, didn't have CoralRX in stock, that's also why I went with the lugols solution.

In all honesty, if I could find a banana wrasse, that would be first prize. But I guess that not all fish will eat the nudis. My 6 Line doesn't, and they are supposed to be hunters of Nudis? I just don't know anymore...

This hobby is getting me down at the moment... It's all just going wrong.

Last edited: 3 May 2011
  10. Dane

Dane

Damn bud you are having a hard time Slagter. I have freshwater dipped my zoas without any issues - so I'm sure the lugols will be fine. A lugols dip is by far the most commonly used treatment for zoas on the overseas sites - so I wouldnt stress to much...

Good luck bud.

11. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Slagter you seriously having the worst of luck man....

give Idol a try they have coralRX

and for the bananna wrasse i know of one but im going to pick it up the weekend :)

if theres another would you like me to buy and keep it for you?

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

13. KeeganP

KeeganP

:whistling: Yoh dude this sucks,
    Im not going to confuse you anymore than you are already and im not saying you should, But I used RO on my zoas also, with no hassel. and all the experts I know use iodine, so I dont think idone can be harmful. good luck bud....

14. Slagter

Dude, PLEASE! I'd gladly take one of them if they have more! Just let me know how much they are.

Thanks Marius. I'm gonna go read it now.

Thanks for the advice. I just got home from work, gonna give them a dip now.

Yeah, thanks Keegan. I'm off to do it now. Just making a little RO water.

15. KeeganP

KeeganP

Cool dude, just remember 10 to 15mins should do the trick

16. crispin

crispin

slaghter ive just been attacked by nudi's eating my zoas (the thread title made me think your zoas might be chomping the nudi's for you!:)) and i used coralRX on them and moved the corals to another tank i have. it was effective and easy id seriously recomend going that rout.

i treat all zoas and monti's with coralRX before adding to the tank now

Last edited: 3 May 2011
  17. Slagter

Shot Crispin. I just don't have the time to get out to Idol Marine before the weekend. They're the closest LFS I know of that stocks the stuff. And they are at least a 30 minute drive from me. So lets say a 90 minute round trip. (Always leave at least 30 minutes for gawking at corals LOL)

I just can't get away from the office for that amount of time this week... It will have to wait for weekend. One of my colonies has already completely disappeared. So it's getting bad already. My 6 Line is doing nothing. So it's really a case of do the only thing that I can at this point and that is dip them in RO and Lugols... I'm really just worried about the osmotic difference in the RO. I don't think many water based organisms, including zoas, would be able to tolerate that. I'm basically worried about the Zooxanthellae. Surely they would also rupture as a result of the osmotic difference? I have read this. This is why I am so weary of doing the RO dip.

PS: Read properly man!! :tt2:

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Also made me think that as I just saw Slagters response to if they have more than he'll take one ... Was a bit confused as to how 1 zoa can eat a nudi ... had to go read the post to realise he was referring to the banana wrasse .... damn you so far as my banana boy is nice and fat ... could have thrown your zoa rock in my tank for him to feast on ....

19. Slagter

Zoa ROCK? Nah dude... I have about 10 rocks with zoas. Some I can't physically remove from the tank. They are stuck to bigger rocks...

I wonder if Zoa munching Nudis are selective? They always go for the best looking colonies first. Bastards.

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

i found one black goody which looked like a small furry black sea cucumber munching on a 500 buck zoa frag i got recently. he is now a corpse after i took him out with my hands. he felt like aa jelly baby!

21. Dane

Dane

Oh Slagter, I forgot to mention, but I suspect its important that you get the zoas to "close" before dipping. They have quite a resistant outer skin, as I'm sure you know many can withstand being exposed high and dry, I suspect this lends some protection against the osmotic imbalance.

Recent Posts