Zoa Dipping

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by whipper, 30 Oct 2014.

1. whipper

whipper

Hi Guys,
    Adding some Zoa's to my tank tonight.:thumbup: Its quite a large colony and I've been reading up about dipping them. Some of the products don't seem to be available locally and some are extreme - Bayer insecticide!
    What do you guys use?
    Thinking I'm going to do Iodine dip, Just regular iodine from chemist?
    Should I do FW and Iodine should I keep an eye out for any critters worth keeping?
    Any tips would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

All the sponsors have coral dips that you can try.

Ive never used pure iodine like you mention so cant comment.

I almost always find nudibranches on new colonies especially vietnam zoas. So you are definately on the right track by dipping them 1st.

However I still find one dip may not do the trick and you may need to do a few dips a couple of days apart to ensure that you eradicate and possible nudi's. Ive had a nudis in my frag tank for 2 months and think only now after weekly dips and manual removal am I now beating them....

4. rakabos

rakabos

5. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Ok great, these are from Vietnam so it's a definite.
    I don't live near any of the sponsors and left it a bit late. It seems they just do a few drops of iodine in tank water from what I've read. Did see one guy that turns the water black with iodine before dipping so it seems there's loads of different ways!?
    I'll do a few dips over the next while just to make sure.

6. rakabos

rakabos

A fw dip will yield the same results as iodine when it comes to zoa nudis. Problem isnt the nudis, they fall off in fw. Problem is the eggs they leave behind which arent affected by fw nor idione, nor any dip i know of

7. archiecrain

archiecrain

You dont want to shock the new colony by over doing it with iodine. Remember it is still a new un-acclimated colony. I would rather use lower doses and just repeat the process for a few weeks,

As Rakabos says a fresh water dip is also effective, especially on the adults.....its those bastard eggs and babies that have you tearing your hair out to get rid of.

8. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Yeah it seemed pretty extreme. Ok so a few dips over the next while.
    Found seachem reef dip at a LFS not far from me I might be able to get to before they close. Any good?

9. archiecrain

archiecrain

I believe its used more as a disinfectant dip on mostly LPS corals, not sure it it will be practical for your need.

RO water is much cheaper....just start with that. Get a coral dip if you feel the RO dip isnt working. (it should though)

10. Reefhead

Reefhead

I like to do my coral dipping this way:
    I always use a quarantine tank for corals, depending on the coral will depend on the length of quarantine.
    In this case Zoas. I leave them for a month to two months in Quarantine depending on whether or not I find eggs after a month.
    So I quarantine them as soon as I get them as well as giving them a dip in Salifert Flatworm Exit (for me it has worked the best for Nudis but I wouldn't put that stuff in my DT)
    This doesn't kill the eggs but the Nudis literally melt away
    I them leave it in quarantine for a month and a week before I am going to move it to the DT I dip the coral again and then observe whether more Nudis fall off or not.
    If no more come off I will add them to the DT a week later if more Nudis come off I do this cycle for another month

This is probably over kill but you will only have to do deal with Zoa eating Nudis in your DT one time and you will either never own a tank again or you will use an overkill quarantine method to make sure they never get into your DT

11. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Thanks, definitely a cheaper option.
    Early days so I'm still a bit cautious.

12. archiecrain

archiecrain

Never overkill if you dropping Big $$ on coral.

I never thought of flatworm exit as a dip before....

13. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

@Reefhead, no QT tank so I won't be able to do that. Still new to everything so haven't gone overboard with equipment. I figure if I'm still enjoying it after a while I can turn my TL450 into a QT and Upgrade!
    Reading up on all potential critters has got me a bit worried....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Reefhead

Reefhead

Out of all the dips I have used, fresh water, iodine, Coral x it has worked the best for me

Fair enough but if you do one day go to a larger tank I would seriously consider a QT tank, one of the best investments to preventing a lot of headache in this hobby.
    You can dip the coral in flat worm exit even without a QT tank though it would be the same as dipping it in fresh water or any other dip.
    I would dip it, place it in the tank but in a isolated spot and monitor it. If anything hatches while in the tank and the coral is isolated it is more then likely going to stay on the coral (its food source) and then it will give you some time to observe it and if you notice anything on it in like a month or so time then you can dip it again, not a guaranteed way of doing it but better then nothing

15. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Ok seemed to go quite well. Some have already opened

[​IMG]

There is this one thing that I'm not sure what it is anyone got a ID

[​IMG]

16. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

A few more pics of my unidentified extra

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems to have swollen up after lights out. I've got visions of it exploding and killing everything!

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014
  17. archiecrain

archiecrain

Looks like a sponge.

18. rigby

rigby

i personaly would dip them in ro water for about 10 min , it will kill the nudis but not the eggs !!! the eggs will be attached to to the stem of the zoas and are a spiral like egg sack . please chech properly as i am still fighting the nnudis after 6 months ,and i have lost about 30 coulors this is all thanks to one of the pet shops in the jhb area whose tanks are infested with them . so please be carefull:m37:

19. rakabos

rakabos

Every single colony from Vietnam is infested, its not the shop's fault

20. rigby

rigby

its there resposibilty to make sure that they are clean or atleast tell you that they may have nudis on them !!! there ignorance is costing us " hobiests" lots of money!!! i think that masa should a forum or place where we can complain about these issues and warn new poeple that are joining the hobby ! pet shops must not be kept "gosts" just because they are sponsors

21. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

I hear what you say but if our LFS,which generally only do small amounts of marine fish as it is, had to start dipping and QT everything like Liveaquaria do overseas it would push costs up. Ultimately the onus is on us.
    Having said that a quick RO dip shouldn't be that difficult but not everything will tolerate FW dip from what I've read.

SO should I be worried about this sponge?.....

Recent Posts