zoa advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by oceanic boy, 24 Jan 2012.

  1. oceanic boy

    oceanic boy

    Joined:
    17 Oct 2010
    Posts:
    210
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    pretoria centurion
    Hi guys

    Today i purchased my first zoa and i heard that they are poisonous.. Spoke to a few of my buds on the form and got sum interesting info

    Is there anyone on the forum that has been poisoned by these zoas?
    How would you know if you were?
    What are the effects/symptoms?
    What should be done if you are poisoned?
    Is it deadly?

    Any important advice would be appreciated

    Many thanx ...
     
  2. AdS Guest




    to hide all adverts.
  3. brendanpre

    brendanpre

    Joined:
    11 Mar 2010
    Posts:
    149
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    kzn
    I think the "poison" in them is called Palytoxin. If you google it you should find some info.

    I have also been told that the Palythoa's *spelling* are worse than the normal Zoanthids.

    Paly's are the very big ones (15 -20mm across). Usually green or brown.

    Zoanthids are usually smaller (5-10mm across) and come in a much wider range of colours.
     
  4. belindamotion

    belindamotion Google Master

    Joined:
    24 Jan 2011
    Posts:
    4,803
    Likes Received:
    134
    Location:
    Pinetown,South Africa(KZN)
    Zoa poison


    Zoanthids

    Zoanthids - Marine Aquariums of South Africa


    http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version1.pdf
     
    Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  5. oceanic boy

    oceanic boy Thread Starter

    Joined:
    17 Oct 2010
    Posts:
    210
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    pretoria centurion
    Ooooooook.... Who eva wants my zoas, cum collect in midrand lol... I have an open tank and always have kids running around... Also have a few frags if anyone wants
     
  6. oceanic boy

    oceanic boy Thread Starter

    Joined:
    17 Oct 2010
    Posts:
    210
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    pretoria centurion
    I rather be safe then sorry.
     
  7. herkie

    herkie R.I.P.

    Joined:
    18 May 2007
    Posts:
    884
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    The Bay of KZN
    This is news to me, I have been handling Zoas since day 1 and never had any of these symptoms-maybe its cos I live in a malaria area?;). My dad will probably say its cos I was raised in the candle and paraffin era!

    Careful all of you, Calfo uses gloves when cleaning his skimmer!
     
  8. rakabos

    rakabos

    Joined:
    12 Jul 2010
    Posts:
    5,006
    Likes Received:
    91
    Location:
    Wilgeheuwel, JHB
    No man zoas are harmless. Just dont rub your hands all over them and then in your eyes for example. But yes if kids have access to them, or ANY other coral for that matter, best u make a plan. Even other corals can be extremely toxic.
     
    Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  9. Tremayn

    Tremayn

    Joined:
    21 Mar 2010
    Posts:
    5,226
    Likes Received:
    69
    Location:
    Lenasia
    yes listen to zoabos!
     
  10. Keanan

    Keanan 2time

    Joined:
    16 Mar 2010
    Posts:
    2,490
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Also dont handle them if you have a cut/s on your fingers/hands.
     
  11. jacqolive

    jacqolive

    Joined:
    9 Jan 2008
    Posts:
    134
    Likes Received:
    1
    I read an article where Calfo admits to have been poisoned 3 times due to negligence.
     
  12. rakabos

    rakabos

    Joined:
    12 Jul 2010
    Posts:
    5,006
    Likes Received:
    91
    Location:
    Wilgeheuwel, JHB

    Its now almost a year since i lightly scraped against a ricordea where i had a small cut on my finger. The scar is still there and so is the small bit of numbness. So be carefull
     
  13. oceanic boy

    oceanic boy Thread Starter

    Joined:
    17 Oct 2010
    Posts:
    210
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    pretoria centurion
    Lady and gents... Thanx so much for the info... Ill jus have to be more careful.. Wat other common corals are toxic?
     
  14. rakabos

    rakabos

    Joined:
    12 Jul 2010
    Posts:
    5,006
    Likes Received:
    91
    Location:
    Wilgeheuwel, JHB
    all of them
     
  15. oceanic boy

    oceanic boy Thread Starter

    Joined:
    17 Oct 2010
    Posts:
    210
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    pretoria centurion
    Hectic... Didnt know that
     
  16. Submariner

    Submariner

    Joined:
    9 May 2007
    Posts:
    1,536
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    Sharonlea, Randburg
    Zoas can be very toxic

    I ended up at the emergency room at Olivedale a few years ago all from a small cut and handling a colony for about 5 minutes while i was aquascaping

    I have also heard horror stories of pets being killed overseas after drinking water from a bucket that a guy was dripping is zoas in.

    Its apparently the most toxic organic substance there is.

    So guys be carefull.
     
  17. Keanan

    Keanan 2time

    Joined:
    16 Mar 2010
    Posts:
    2,490
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Yip worked in the tank once with cuts in my fingers, not too long after that my fingers where feeling numb. I still dont know if it was just my imagination or what but you cant be too sure.:p
     
  18. mupwi

    mupwi

    Joined:
    18 Aug 2010
    Posts:
    466
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban South Africa
    I have found that handling zoas bare handed always results in slight sweling and numbness for a couple of days and with small cuts on the fingers can be a bit painful but havent had any worse symptoms than that maybe if you got stung a lot in an open wound or something but I just suggest gloves eye protection and keeping your mouth shut when handling them also don't stress them out in a confined space with fish had a small colony that I collected down the south coast in a 5l bucket with a couple of fish by the time I got home about an hour later the fish were all dead zoas survived though so try acclimatise them then gently move them to the tank with as little of the transport water (toxic tea) as possible
     
Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - advice Forum Date
Clean up crew advice General Discussions and Advice 19 Nov 2016
Advice on algae growth Nuisance Algae 17 Nov 2016
Advice Needed for Sale of Tank General Discussions and Advice 16 Nov 2016
copepods breeding advice plz General Discussions and Advice 9 Nov 2016
Clownfish fighting - advice please General Discussions and Advice 22 Oct 2016
TL550 Advice Beginner Discussions 3 Oct 2016
Importing an LED unit - Advice needed Technology 12 Sep 2016