Zetlight electrical current issue

Reaction score
Last night we had a power failure in our area. Power came back on and everything seemed normal in my tank, until I reached into it. The electrical shock I got was very powerful.
So I grabbed my current meter and unplugged everything one by one, the culprit is my Zetlight.
Here you can see everything running with the Zetlight plugged out.
8f9f8e4ccf5a9a50ae28d681d98f84af.jpg

Here is with the Zetlight plugged in, you can clearly see the big electrical field around it, bare in mind that this tester only picks up 50V and up.
3e3dc0d99bcd1fef277b3abf2fed2d07.jpg

My multi plug has a surge protector on it. Also, when I first plugged in this light a week or so ago, I got a big shock from the power supply when I moved it.

Last edited:
It is touching on the over flow, but that's a plastic part. The 2 screws at the bottom don't screw into the light itself.

Strange. Keep light away from water or earting rod in sump to metal stand. Try find out why it's leaking wolts. Where did you buy the light new or second hand?

I bought it used, but it was only a month old. So still has its warranty.
But I think you might be onto something here, those 2 screws do screw into the metal stays, that go into the light. I've meant to hang it but haven't got around to doing it. Let me hang it tonight and test again.

Make sure it's the light before you make a twat out of yourself

Reactions: EFJ
@Richard01
Nothing else in the tank triggers the current meter, only when the light gets connected. Which leads me to believe something is not lekker with the light.

Test the light itself for leakage where you think it's coming from and let us know what you find

Just to come back to this. Have not taken the light in as I've been away on business.
I found that I only get shocked when I'm bare foot, and I can work in the tank no problem with shoes on.
Also installed a Vertex ground pole, but that thing makes absolutely no difference.

Back
Top Bottom