ZEOVit

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Fishy Steve, 31 Mar 2009.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I read the WHOLE ZEOVit guide yesterday. Seems like some amazing stuff. Was thinking of starting with it now before I add any coral's to the new tank.

I will start at half the dose that they recommend and slowly build up as I have read there are some major changes that happen in chemistry very quickly when adding the full dose immediately.

Anyone with good or bad experiences with this stuff?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. keyaam

keyaam

Ask mekaeel. He has been using zeo

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

Will pm him for details.
    Thanks

5. knut-ove

knut-ove

I am going to run ZEOvit on my 800L tank when it arrives, so I`l tag along with this tread. Nice if you and mekaeel can discuss this in the tread instead of pm:wave2:

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

ZEOVIT is EXTREMELY expensive in SA. Miki stopped most of the products, BECAUSE it is so expensive..... I use ZEOLITE in my tank's sump, but none of the bacteria products. I use different bacteria products..... whatever I can lay my hands on. I feel that this will DEFINITELY give me the broad scope and bio diversity that I require!

7. Fishy Steve

My system is less than 300 litres so surely it cant cost that muah? Where in cape town cant i go and inspect the price?

8. jacquesb

Hi Steve - nowhere that I know of..... unfortunately.... I don't think there's ANYONE in SA that really imports the stuff...... except for "on demand".....

That's why it gets to be so expensive!

I know Sam's does NOT keep it.... neither does Pets Aquaria.... nor NAAC....

Perhaps AQuality MIGHT have some..... but I cannot guarantee this for you....

You should be able to get ZEOLITE ANYWHERE..... any of the popular LFS's should keep Zeolite..... I got mine from the LFS in Bothasig.....

9. Fishy Steve

Well there goes that idea. I just wasted my time reading a 30 page manual for nothing. Thanks for the help anyway.

10. jacquesb

Sorry about that man.....
    I also read up on the stuff..... it is indeed AWESOME....
    it works - when you CAN get hold of it....
    That's why, as far as I know, Mekaeel stopped mostly - because of the difficulty in getting the stuff....
    Perhaps save up the money you wanted to spend on it - for a MOTHER of a skimmer (no matter how big/small your tank is - you will REALLY be pleasantly surprised at what over skimming does for you!!!!)

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

mek is using it again and i will start as soon as george has some stock. tunze stuff seems to be reasonably priced. i will only be using zeolith though, no extra bacteria. you can put it in a stockin in your sump and shake it once every day. or you could have a reactor for it. i think its called a reactor:) not sure
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

Why not just use Prodibio ?

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

try sean or chris at northlands, they were the main importer of zeo at one stage

14. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this thread now. I have replied to your pm Steven.

15. Mekaeel

Not exactly Jacques. Im not using most of the products because no one is bringing them in SA. Northlands pets has stopped importing Zeo because of the shelf life. Cost wise, the once of cost might be a bit steep, but these products last for a very long time. Im still using my Zeofood7 which I bought about 2 years back.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2009
  16. Tony

Tony

Exactly. I looked at Zeovit and it scares me a little because one is stopping the nitrogen cycle in it's track by absorbing the ammonia. What if one stops using it, will it cause the tank to cycle again? Either that or I understood it wrong.:pThe price is also a little steep

17. Mekaeel

Tony, I have used it and stopped it several times in my previous systems with no ill effects. Sorry but my knowledge on Prodibio is limited. Does it work on the same/similar method as Zeo? ie.Stones, not DSB, fuge, Po4 remover etc.....?

18. Tony

Tony

Mikaeel. It's different because one introduces bacteria to break down nitrates and phosphates unlike Zeovit which halts the nitrogen cycle. In other words it boosts the biological filter. One wont need a DSB or refugium and it will starve macroalgae of nutrients which will kill them. When I first started using it I had a lawn of GHA and nitrates of about 20ppm. After a few days the nitrates shot up to 40ppm (probably from the stuff being released back into the system from the algae)and then came down to 5ppm after the first month then later to 1ppm. I haven't used the stuff in months now because of unavailability and still have no problems with algae and phosphates. Prodibio doesn't have the products to colour up corals. You can go to their web site. Just google Prodibio. They're based in France

19. Mekaeel

Thanks Tony. So it is 2 different methods all together.
    But at the same time, Zeovit also introduces bacteria into the system along with heavy skimming. That's what Zeo is about, export of nutrients by dosing bacteria. Everytime you flush your Zeolites, you are dosing bacteria into the tank.

20. Tony

Tony

Cool. Good to know. How much would a system for an 800 litre system cost? More or less.

21. Mekaeel

You can get the Zeolites from George (Tunze). Best to pm him for the prices on it. The instead of Zeo start, use Vodka and for bacteria, we can all get together and order directly from KZ as no sponsors seem to stock it.
    Sunburst, Preshan and me are wanting to order for the last 2 years but never got down to it :p

Recent Posts