Zeovit Seawater Additive - Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Albert Terego, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I wanted to get a feel of how strong it is. Recently there have been some discussion around bitterns which is about 8X NSW levels.

If this product contains everything thats in Reefers Best Zeovit salt and in the same quantities except the salt itself I would also like to understand what this means exactly.

Is 500ml equivalent to 500ml of salt water made up with the Zeovit salt, or 500g of the salt before dilution with water (or some other ratio?)

If dosed at 1ml/100l/day (i.e 7ml/100l/week) by how many percent would the expected elements be expected to rise by (as a % of NSW levels) - 5%/week 5%/month ?

That's why knowing the concentration of each element is important as one can then work out how much of each element you are adding.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I have tried many times to get information from them, it seems there are many threads on various forums also asking, and Mr Pohl is reluctant to share.

yet there are many zeovit users who have success without knowing whats in any of the products.. its like the microsoft of reefing

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Many of the Zeovit bottles will not even disclose what ingredients are in them, but reefers dose the product accourding to the instruction and they have success. Where is the analagy of don't add what you can not test for? If you dont know what your adding how do you know what to even test for?

5. dallasg

my point exactly, http://www.zeovit.com is a whole forum of users who add things and dont test for it...

like all products one should use the livestock as indicators, they mention that when dosing some of the zeovit products, pale colours add more, no green add this etc

6. butcherman

I would also like to add that zeovit is a great system if used correctly.

7. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Dallas

I have to agree also

if you go by the rule dont add what you cant test for then we would have to stop doing water changes all together.

Every system is different so even if you new the exact concentrations of products, dosing will still differ from system to system.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's like dosing vodka. Depending on what vodka I use I need test kits for potatoes, rye, wheat, sugar, starch, yeast and molasses.

9. butcherman

Then the same can be said for trace element addatives, I dont see a reefer testing for 65 diffrent trace elements. Heck we dont test our salt that we add to our systems for even the basic marco elements let alone the trace elements.

10. Albert Terego

Albert Terego Thread Starter

KZ not willing to disclose concentrations

Hi Albert,
    i can not sai that, sorry that i can not help you. We test that
    product in a misc tank with sps and soft corals and have good results
    after 12 Month Test.

Achtung: UNSER GESCHÄFT IST VON 12. BIS 18. NOVEMBER GESCHLOSSEN!
    PLEASE NOTE: OUR COMPANY IS CLOSED from 12. to 18. NOVEMBER !

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best regards

Thomas Pohl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Korallenzucht.de Vertriebs GmbH

302 Found
    Home | KoiAqua - Profiprodukte für Teiche
    Home | Katze Hund Maus - Tiernahrung & Zubehör online kaufen

Ketschendorfer Str. 88
    96450 Coburg, Germany
    Phone +49 9561 329785
    Fax +49 9561 329787

info@korallenzucht.de

11. Albert Terego

The source of the alcohol is not relevant actually , but you do know a) it's strength (i.e. 40%?) so can dose accurately as you want to.

With a trace element solution, if you do not know the concentrations of the elements in it you'll not know how much you are actually increasing them by.

that's why in general I prefer addiitves statements like:

If you add Xml/100ml you will increase levels of Y by Zppm

Rather than

Add 5ml of additive X each/day/week to maintain levels of Y

12. dallasg

So you get a less of a reply from a huge international company with no mention of what's inside, hmmm makes me wonder about yesterday

I have been a zeovit user that dosed blindly and got awesome results, are we just over complicating things that should be simple

13. Albert Terego

Dallas, yesterday I was able to establish that bitterns was the source of the trace elements which was a good thing because then by doing a little research I was able to determine how much of an element I would be adding (even if a few assumptions needed to be made).

But maybe I'm a bit old fashioned - unless I understand what I am adding to my tank and how it is meant to work, I won't add it.

That's why I like Seachem (although some other manufacturers also do it) - They state either the chemical ingredient used in the products, or (in the case of trace elements) state the concentrations of each element. I am then informed enough to be able to dose the products to get dosage I want.

Conversely I do not like Seachem's dosing instructions i.e. add 1 spoon/100l/week to maintain levels but because they either state what is in the product, or percentages I know how to adjust quantities to suit my readings.

14. dallasg

what assumptions?
    the other products are trace elements blended in a lab, unless otherwise stated, so yes one can put a gauranteed analysis due to it being artifical, but my understanding is that a natural salt water extract is exactly that, NSW

well the dosing seems inline with every other additive, maybe inform them its wrong

15. Albert Terego

Well for one - bitterns is a generic term.

So to understand, for example, how much manganese is in bitterns (without doing a costly analysis) I need to know

1)The amount of manganese in NSW (=0.0004ppm = Assumption 1)
    2) as well as how concentrated bitterns is ,which from the process followed during the manufacture of salt is about 7.5 (Assumption 2 on my part)

From this I can deduce that the concentration of Mn in bitterns is about 0.0004 x 7.5 = 0.003 ppm.

I now know that if I dose 5ml bitterns per 100 litre tank volume then I will be increasing my Mn levels by 0.00000015ppm.

I may not know where the Mn levels are in my tank, but at least I have an idea of how much I am adding.

16. Jamie@Vertex

Jamie@Vertex

let's not forget all the cool fruit alcohols! They certainly have some trace elements in 'em. :p I need a pear test kit.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2012
Recent Posts