Zeo with Bio Cubes

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by mytank, 26 Aug 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

So Zeo is a carbon system and so is Bio cubes, I wonder what is going to happen if you run BOTH of them in one system.....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmm not too sure but i personally wouldent recomend cross branding... at least untill they are both properly understood as in what bacteria they each support...

but in general.. i cant see a problem as i am lead to believe one is a larger version of the other...

it is exciting to have such simple effective media for nutrient removal at our disposal BUT, it is important to accuratley document what happens while using it so that we can determine if the product or reefer is responsorble for the success of the system being tested..

Often a meticulous reefer will achieve the same due to diligence...

4. Quintin

Quintin

Was wondering the same thing....

5. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok so lets put issues on the table, this is what I think could happen:

1. The two sources could either "fight" for the same bacteria OR they could harbor TO MUCH bacteria.
    2. No one has an idea how the BioCubes would work with the additives you add for the Zeo system.
    3. Would you not be over carbon dosing if you added BioCubes as Zeo requires daily carbon dosing.

6. Reefhead

Reefhead

Redfield Ratio
    The two will compete with each other
    The the ratio in which bacteria takes up N & P will be messed up and you will end up with very low N and very high P or visa versa
    Thats basically what will happen

7. Quintin

Quintin

Makes sense.

8. Monti

Monti

And if/ when something goes wrong- how do you fix if you dont know whats causing the problem? It could be the zeo, if could be the cubes... it could be a combination. Stick to one brand so you can actually track whats going on...

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Should be fine if you stop dosing the Zeo start 3 - the bacteria and use the Biocubes...
    The zeolight will still be stripping the elements out of the water , making it a zeo system.
    @mytank , why dont you try ? :p

Im very happy with the Zeo and now using Salinaty salt , WOW , what a difference in color...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I am using Zeo and Salinity, with dosing as per strict discussions, got rid of three of my large fish lightly stocked tank and my N03 is sitting at 25ppm.

I even changed reactors to a new Vertex Zeo reactor. I am now (changed last night) the reactor to 3 hours on and 3 hours off. This is what the Zeo Guide says one should do for "high nutrient" levels.

If this doesn't work Zeo is going out the window. I was wanting to do both maybe to get the bio cubes to help reduce and Zeo to maintain.

11. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

What about dosing the Zeo start 3 more and in higher doses - I dont measure , but its about 3 mm per day - and skip a day every now and again.
    last test was 3 weeks back and Nitrate -5 and phosphate 0.01

But i do dose a bit more than I should, its working for me.
    the 3 on and 3 off is going to reduce the nutrients slower ( should be safer that way ), but i dont think your readings are concidered High nutrient , leave it on perminently and turn the flow down to half flow for now ?

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Had it running at half the flow and it got even worse. I am getting to the point of sick and tired of the voodo solution. This is one of the most @nal retentive solutions out there.

The on and off is suppose to all both type of bateria the air based and normal to work on the nutrient level.

13. Monti

Monti

No the on and off is to prevent too quick a decrease in nutrients and allow your system to acclimate to zeovit. After a few weeks you are supposed to run it full time

It would also get "worse" at half flow as this further slows down nutrient reduction. Again the reason people run at half flow is to make sure there isnt stress from too rapid nutrient reduction.

Zeovit is something you need to really understand before using. If you dont have the time for it, understand what does what, then its probably not for you (and Im not meaning to sound harsh- Im just responding to your @nal comment)

14. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

hahaha :lol:

15. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok I am prob going to make a tit of myself but the Zeo guide spoke about running this method on high nutirent systems to allow better nutrient export by (*and I am no expert here) ana (whilst running) and aerobic (whilst off) bacteria to take care of the system.

It further more says once the system is running at a low nutrient stage then one should run it full time. I had the bew reactor running full time for a week and didnt even see a 1 or 0.05ppm drop in N03.

16. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

3mm? That doesnt sound right.... :D

17. Monti

Monti

Straight from zeo guide

Regarding the on and off thing
    You should connect the ZEOvit® filter pump to an automatic timer if you have a high nutrient load or during the starting phase of the system. The pump should be switched on and off at an interval of 3 hours (3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on, 3 hours off, etc.) leading to an alternating environment of aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Every switch leads to an increased aspiration of PO4 by the microorganisms/bacteria residing in the material. This is not absolutely necessary in stable and very nutrient poor tanks. Please make sure that the media won’t be exposed to air while the pump is off.

You should have passed this stage- this stage would essentially be to just acclimatise your tank and then you go full tilt to lower your nutrients further... Also having the pump turn on and off is not great for it long term.

Now when I asked Bob and G.Alexander about this ages ago, this was the response to me

18. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Yup, he said the same thing to me. Sigh this was my desprate approach to try get something going on .....

19. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

:whistling: Thats right i should only be putting in 1.5 mm for my 700 liter tank . . .

20. Monti

Monti

mm or ml?

21. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Ml if you want to be
    about it lol :p

Thanks for that
    :)

Recent Posts