Zebra Hermits causing destruction!

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just got a couple of zebra hermits, and the little buggers are eating the red coralline algae off my live rock!!!!!! Is this normal?! And if not, how do I stop them? Tried telling them not to, and picking them up and throwing them on the substrate - didn't help! :lol::lol::lol:

T :)

strange.they usually eat hair algea,many other types of algeas,cyanobacteria and left over foods.not too sure about coralline though.but looks like they do like coralline algea

haha. Little buggers. I only trust the dwarf red legged hermits myself...

418481f457acd740.jpg

And that's what they've been eating --- the pink/red stuff. It is Coralline, isn't it??? And what's that DARK GREEN? :whistling::whistling:

*sigh* - they've eaten almost half of one of the pieces of liverock! Nasty buggers... at least they've moved off now - until next time. Just a quick Q - do I need coralline algae in order to have it growing in my tank, ie. coralline on the liverock - I mean, it should've seeded somewhere now, huh?

agh that's ok - can always add a couple of boxes of magnesium ribbon, lime, etc :p heheh just joking :) Yeah it does look nice... was just worried, cause I don't have a lot of it in my tank at the moment, and don't want the little buggers to eat everything! :)

Let them eat away, you will never loose the coralline. If anything it actually inhibits the filtering of your liverock. Eat away dudes

418481f457acd740.jpg

And that's what they've been eating --- the pink/red stuff. It is Coralline, isn't it??? And what's that DARK GREEN? :whistling::whistling:

Looks to me like there is plenty of green stuff on the rocks too, but as Mikki said coraline os good but it bungs up your rock, so let the little fellas do what they do:)

yes - leave them - i got 2 urchins in my nano just to eat the corraline. Although it may look good to some, as said above, it uses up too much of expensive Ca. Also when they encrust over the rock, they block off the filtration process of that rock.

Is it just me or do those hermits look like snails?

Viper viper viper... of course they are snails! Didn't take a photo where they are busy eating the coralline... figured you guys don't need a picture, or am I wrong? ;) LOL :)

Geeez, I thought I was going off my head there, everybody is talking about zebra hermits and all I can see is a snail with black and white stripes :p Don't be confusing me like that :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom