Your suggestions / opinion for my lights pls.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by neo, 5 Nov 2009.

1. neo

neo

Hi,
    I'm in the process of setting up my tank and have to start thinking of the lights.
    My tank is 1000l x 650w x 600h, water level at 570.
    I would like to build towards a mixed reef over time with only a few fishes.

As this is my first ever tank I am asking the question from you, the more experienced reefers,
    suggestions pls.

Due to location anything that needs to 'hang' is a no-no.

I saw a cheapy T5 unit with 8 T5's and i can fit two of them over the tank = 16 T5's ..... is this to much???
    but this will look a bit unfinished for the wife's sake so I'm thinking of a neat canopy with a couple of T5's inside - how many?
    I'm trying to stay away from MH due to heat and I still havnt seen any nice MH canopies that sits on the tank itself.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Neo,

tell us a bit more about your plans for filtration, this is the heart of the system and needs careful planning now to avoid problems later.

T5's will be fine 16 would be awesome !

The Heat from MH is not as problematic as it sounds, and can be effectively counteracted ... so dont throw the MH option out of the window just yet !

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

t5's are perfect, 16 is overkill, i have seen a deeper tank with 8-10 t5's 54watt
    then have 2 actinic, 2 fiji purple, and rest a mix of 10k and 14k, thats what i would do :)

5. neo

neo Thread Starter

Neil H,
    will consider MH if i can find or build a good looking canopy that will also deal with the heat,
    dallasg,
    i can only use 39w, 54w is to long and will look crappy over the tank (for me), will 8 39w T5's still work?

I will start another thread describing my setup, not here in lighting.

6. dallasg

yes, 39 watts should be fine, for SPS u can place those nearer the top, but i am sure Falcon will reply, he knows his lighting

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

agree with Dallas, 39 wat will be great

start a thread in members setups

8. Falcon

Falcon

thanks for the compliment dallas and you also know a thing or two as you're right.

ideally this tank would need around 12x39w t5's because its relatively deep and quite broad for a 1m length tank.

but like dallas says you can get the 8x39w unit for a start(infact if you go lps and softies this can be permanently effective lighting) and place sps higher up,this way the sps will be fine also.

this will be a great start and later on if you want a more sps dominated set-up then you can always add another 39w or two....

and welcome to the club neo hope your tank turns out amazing,so far you seem to be doing things right ie researching before you run out and buy whatever the lfs suggests:thumbup:

Mekaeel likes this.
  9. Falcon

Falcon

Its actually easier to light this type of tank with mh but i know what you mean you want a clean look and its sometimes very hard to achieve that with mh fittings.

how about using 2 x 150w mh 10000k and 4 x 39w actinic t5's?

then simply make a custom hood with fans extracting the heat out the back and some inlet vents on the sides...or fans extracting on the right and inlet vents on the left.

10. dallasg

anytime!

one can also get some nice units with everything built in, even though those units are hanging, look at Marcs new 6ft tank and see what we came up with for mounting on the tank

11. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx fellas,
    starting up is a bit expensive so going slow also helps spread the load....have been reading masa threads since June, learned a lot but also getting more-n-more difficult deciding what to do as the info is a lot, but it's lekka:thumbup:.

how long does the mh bulbs last compared to T5?
    for mh, how far from water level must they go?
    ditto for T5's?

if using 2 mh, should i use the same bulb in both? with the T5 in another kelvin rating i suppose?

12. dallasg

i replace my bulbs when they start looking yellowish, as for t5's they last about 12-18months.

mh is ideal about 20cm above the water, t5's can be placed as close as possible.

generally use the same bulbs for mh, else it looks unblanced, with t5's u can have a mixture of 10k, 14k, 20k, actinice, and fiji purple

13. Falcon

Falcon

yes hence i said in my post above 2 x 10000k MH and then t5 you can put 2xpure actinic and 2 x actinic(20000k) or even 4x pure actinic.

i say these as this will give you a nice balance between looks and PAR output.

Remember this rule when choosing bulb colours,BLUE AND ACTINIC LIGHT LOOKS BETTER BUT GIVES LESS PAR THAN THE LOWER KELVIN GLOBES LIKE 6500K AND 10000K.

14. Yuri

Yuri

tomorrow is the reef club meeting in centurion if you want to have a chat

15. Annoying

Annoying

Hey, the light fitting you are thinking of putting in ( the 8 x T8) it sounds like the one from real inc. The reason of me asking is I wanted the same light fitting but when I talked to one of my lfs he said that there are allot of complaints about the ballasts braking... Thus this is the reason it's cheap because they use cheap materials. Just make sure whats the make of the fixture you want to buy...

16. neo

neo Thread Starter

howdy,
    bit of a crappy day, had to help a company we use to do some cnc machining for us, the pc for the machines went bonkers, turned out all 3 com port cards popped (6 ports), after replacing still nothing, had a close look on the motherboard and spotted some damaged electronics, turns out that one of the ports got damaged and they then started swapping wires without shuting down the pc - not good in an industrial environment, and this is not even my line of work, lost a day on our schedule and we're allready late due to other problems.....

Yuri, yes i know about the meet, but it's my son's bday party so cant be there, would have loved to go.

Annoying, don't know the brand, only know it is from china, there is also a unit with mh and T5 for slightly more, if i remeber the T5 only one is about R1900 and the other with the mh and T5's go for about R2300, it's from one of the sponsors.

thx falcon, considering the mh with T5's now.
    when you talk about the fans and vents, would this be for air flow/cooling of the space between the lamps and water or above the mh lights? and what about the control gear, can i put it in the engine room (sump area) and run the wires upstairs or should the wirng to the mh lights be short?

17. Annoying

Annoying

Does it look like this
    [​IMG]

18. neo

neo Thread Starter

hmmm, nope.
    was a bit more curved and did not have the wide 'white' parts at the ends, the 39w unit is only 1100 x 320 (l x w) and i think it's 160 height, the 320 is the reason i can fit two on my tank.
    but i think for the money of 2 of those units i can get a nice mh unit, maybe even for cheaper, decisions decisions.....

19. Falcon

Falcon

it depends on the make of the ballast etc...some allow longer wires,most dont and the "HOT" wires need always be relatively short so i would try to mount them behind your tank or to the back of the hood in a separately ventilated chamber...this will help with heat and prevent that corrosive salt spray from getting to your control gear.

i would say you rather get a unit only diy if you cant get the right unit to suit your needs or if you are really good at DIY.:)

20. mnd123

mnd123

Why dont you build your own?

21. burt

burt

how much do they go for and where can i get it?
    thanks

Recent Posts