Your info in MASApedia

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by LikesFish, 1 Jan 2008.

1. LikesFish

LikesFish

Hey Sara,

I hope I have not stepped on any toes. I was reading through some of the articles in MASApedia the other day when I came across this one:

Cycling Your Tank

I found the info in Step 3: Corals and Anemones a bit different to what I have researched and experienced. So I amended it a bit. Let me know what your opinions on the changes are.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

That is what it's for dude, as long as your opinion/research/info is correct then it will stand

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed, we want it to be updated and improved all the time:thumbup:

5. sihaya

sihaya

Hmmm... obviously I encourage the articles to be amended/added to with more quality info. HOWEVER I'm really uncomfortable with false info being added... such as this:

The above is just not true. Though it is ideal to have the two together, clowns have been kept quite well without anemones and vice versa.

So, I hope you don't mind, I just distinguished your addition from the rest of the article. I hope that's ok.

6. Kanga

Sara/Likefish I hope neither of you mind, i have moved the anemone info in the cycling page to a dedicated Anemone page, i think all the info might just be to much for a beginner:):)

Let me know if its ok with you guys

7. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant - taking anemones from the wild (reefs) WILL cause clownfish also in the wild (reef) to die since in their natural setting - in the reef - clowns do not survive without their host anemones - unlike in our aquariums where they just do fine - especially tank raised clown fish. I was thus referring to clowns in the reefs - not in our aquariums.

8. sihaya

sihaya

Ah, very good... thanks Kanga.

9. sihaya

sihaya

Oh, ok, but I don't think most people would interpret all this from what you wrote (maybe you should clarify this?). But still... I hope you don't mind I'm still skeptical as to the accuracy of this info. Do you have a link/reference on hand? I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard/read this before...

10. Kanga

11. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

Maybe I have not written it down clearly. Will fix.

Yes I do - have read (and heard) this from about 7 different "public" sources.

The Anemone FAQ

Another quote was from the BBC "The Blue Planet" - where it was stated that clown fish cannot survive for long in the wild without anemones.

Wikipedia

And a host of other verbal sources. Not saying they all are right - just that it convinced me.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  12. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

Hmm just re-read what I wrote:

I am not sure how to change it to be more clear? Seems pretty clear to me. But then again I am biased.

13. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I hadn't heard that before either, but it does seem logical to assume that when you take away the protective nem' the fishs' chances of survival will be drastically reduced.

14. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

Another source:

Ronald L. Shimek (Marine Invertebrates, page 82.)

15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I don't have any scientific information to add to this, rather some personal observation.

Whilst collecting anemones in Mauritius, clownfish from a removed anemone would hang around confused for a while, and then move on to another anemone located on the same rock structure, literally a few centimeters apart. The clowns were accepted by the residents of the neighbouring anemone, although they stayed towards the outer parameter of the anemone. (Personally I would put that down to siblings and an asexually produced clone....... perhaps??)

Whilst living on a tropical islet, in Madagascar, I noticed that when an anemone was removed, clownfish would hover around and when they eventually moved on to another anemone, they would be agressively attacked by resident clowns. (Personally I would put that down to siblings and an asexually produced clone....... perhaps??)

Considering the swimming action and vulnerability of clowns, I can see how removal of host anemones could have a potentially devasting effect on clownfish populations.

sihaya likes this.
  16. sihaya

sihaya

Hmm, ok, but I think Dr. Shimek is talking about removal of anemones from an entire area...

17. sihaya

sihaya

This makes sense... it makes sense that the clown fish would die of some indirect consequence of the anemone's sudden absence (such as sudden vulnerability). Again, I can see how taking an anemone from a wild clown hosting in it would put the clown fish in peril. However, I'm not convinced that the taking of the anemone, by itself, would mean certain death.

In any case, it's just not the case with captive kept clown fish (even when they're wild caught). In fact, there are places that breed clown fish without anemones. So the clowns must be happy/healthy enough without one (if they're breeding). And I believe that in many cases, the babies are raised on into adulthood without ever even seeing an anemone.

18. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

True, but then again I highly doubt people collecting anemones would collect only one in an area - but I could be wrong.

19. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Well, i think we can agree that taking nem's from the wild is not great for the clowns and that there is probably little need for it considering the progess made in splitting nem's, add to that many of them split naturally in our tanks, there seems little need to collect wild ones.

20. LikesFish

LikesFish Thread Starter

As I said: "Clown fish do not naturally survive long in the wild without their host anemone" I never said certain death immediately. I said they do not naturally survive for long without their host anemone. Which means if they manage to find another then they would be fine. But it reduces their survival rate since AFAIK most anemones are already taken by clownfish for any given area, so they cannot easily find another one.

And I fully agree - captive bred clowns to not require anemones, but the reason for that is simply (I believe) because in our aquariums we normally do not introduce predators on clowns - so they do not need the anemone for protection (AFAIK the only reason they need them in the wild).

21. sihaya

sihaya

Cool... I think we're all on the same page now (or close to it). Thanks for clarifying and the good discussion here. :)

Recent Posts