Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC

@Gareth0508 add them gradually. otherwize it can cause a shock to your system. increase your bioload slowly and not to fast at once. the fish wont stress so much in that way and a smaller chance of sickness breaking out from stress. local fish are fine to add to your system. also the hermits and zoas. please when taking out zoas just take small frags from different pools. and not huge lumps. no matter how big the colony is. :thumbup:

Thanks The Fish
I have a few spots that I often dive and the colonies of Zoas that I've seen are massive!
Of course I wouldn't take a huge piece, just a few frags big enough to survive!

I still have a long way to go before adding any bioload to my system, so preparing myself with knowledge beforehand.:)

the inverts like your crabs dont really add to bioload. it comes with the fish and well corals. so doing it slowly is always best. that is a gr8 way of doing things. patience be thy virtue in this hobby. :p

Hi . I'm reachingt he end of my first cycle so i'm contemplating cuc. I have a 160 litre tank with 30L sump.
I know fire shrimp are not on your list,but i do want one. So,: can i have one of each
( fire,peppermint, skunk cleaner) ? How many shrimp max?
I dont want to get pairs as i'm limited for space...

shrimps are fine, you can keep 3-4, some are aggressive but i have about 20 and no issues

I found my hermit crab having a mega breakfast today in the morning.. sadly for me he was enjoying some prawns (my cleaner shrimp) .. I wish I could have prawns for breakfast

Last edited:
I found my hermit crab having a mega breakfast today in the morning.. sadly for me he was enjoying some prawns (my cleaner shrimp) .. I wish I could have prawns for breakfast

Your cleaner shrimp did moult most likely. Then they are very vulnerable.

Even hermits when they moult are very vulnerable. Lost a nice Dardanos megistos to his bigger brother... :(

Thanks for the read. May I ask why you wouldn't suggest a cleaner shrimp or a fire shrimp for cuc? I have one of each in my tank? Should they be removed?

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows a place in JHB which has Nassarius snails?
I live in JHB north and have visited the nearby pet stores but none of them have in stock...

Furthermore, besides them, what else could you recommend to add for cleaning the diatom bloom in my sand bed?

Thanks for all the help :)

Hey Krushto, I'm no expert, but if it's the red stuff on your sand bed, it's one of two things:
1. Your flow is not right
2. Your water quality is bad.

Whichever way, if the stuff is growing, rather in your sump than in your display tank.

Hope it helps

Thanks DallasG first question I am in begin stages of starting a reef tank. I know you have to look at your algae load and inevitable diatome bloom that possibility will manifest after cycling to help decide how many CUC inverts to add. But in general how mamy would you add to a 1500 x 600 floor area aquarium?

Howdy guys, im really really new to marine aquariums. My tank is set up and running and all levels are testing great and within range. i got a 70L tank. how many CUC do you recommend? do i first add corals or the crew?

Back
Top Bottom