Your experience using MB7

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Junz, 15 Dec 2009.

1. Junz

Junz

Hi Guys,

i have been using MB7 now for about 2weeks and just started dosing bio fuel, i havnt really noticed any difference in my tank...seems that my nitrates actually picked up a lil...sitting at <5ppm

i just would like to hear your experiences and thoughts on this product....

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have been using it for quite some time now. Even before I dosed MB7, I had zero Nitrates, so I cant really comment on the nitrate part of it.
    In terms of water clarity, I found it to be excellent. It appears as if you have just did a carbon change.

4. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

my nitrates was 2ppm, after the 2 week period, I had a 0 reading. Even if I feed more the nitrates remain 0.
    the water clarity is excellent.

5. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hi Junz, I have used with great results - but this is how I did it - maybe check and see how you dose compared to me and see if there is anything you may be doing wrong.

Firstly make sure you are dosing the correct amount (double check your system volume) You must dose to your total system water volume ie. display and sump and canister if you have one. Your first few doses are almost double, then after a week you dose differently (a little less daily) until you get to the point where you can dose every second week or after water / filter changes.
    Second thing, ensure you turn off your skimmer just before you dose as the skimmer will just consume it all. The skimmer should be left off for at least 4 hours after dosing to ensure the bactor7 does it's thing.
    Thirdly, take a jug and get some tank water in it and then add the dose to this water in the jug, mix it up and then pour back directly into display tank (I do this to help get it mixed up a bit more and I pour it from left to right to get it mixed in the tank well.)

What I also do is I dose with bactor 7 and stabilty from seachem - just gives you more of a range of bacteria. I dose them alternatively one day bactor 7, the next stability and so on.

Both products are brilliant! you are not making a mistake with them.

I also had a problem with high nitrates and this sorted it out great!

One thing I must add - I don't know your system as in size water flow sump etc.
    Are you running a DSB or what type of filtration system are you using? Check your display in tank flow - you should have around 30 - 40 x flow in your tank. Look for "dead" spots where the water does not flow well there is always old "gunk" lying on the substrate, this will help increase those nitrates.

Another thing is look in the sump and see if there is any old gunk that has settled in the sump and skimmer this will also increase your nitrates. Sometimes you can put a small power head in the sump just to circulate the water in sump and it will keep the gunk suspendid for the skimmer to consume better!

Hope this helps - sorry for the essay

6. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

Junz, stop the bio fuel.

The 1st time I tried it I used half the dose of MB7 and Bio fuel but my nitrates increased.
    2nd time I stopped the Bio fuel and followed the MB7 instruction to the T.

It must work!

7. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, i must say i have been inconsistent with my dosing,i have only been dosing half the dosage from the beggining, this was because my tank was a low Nutrient system anyway (was using prodibio for about 5months) ,so i figured i would just start with the ULNS dosage.

so in reality i should be dosing about 7capfuls a day for my tank (600 lt + 150lt for my sump ) for the first week ...and then measure my NO3

pugsly, il use stability and MB7 together to build a better variety or bacteria.

8. Tony

Tony

I've also stopped with the biofuel and find my corals are looking much better. I am using vodka instead which works better and infinately cheaper. My nitrates are hanging around 0.5ppm. The stuff works well if you dont overdo it and without phosphate media

9. Pugsly

Pugsly

yes no problem junz - forgot to mention - as tony did now - you can dose vodka while doing this to "feed" the new bacteria - I would say 1ml of vodka a day while dosing on your system for about a week - then you can dose 1 ml every 3rd day. IMO

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Junz, one more thing, have you cross checked your Nitrates with another test kit?

11. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

thats a good idea, will try and a sample to a friends place for testing

ok, so i dosed 7caps now, will continue till friday and test again

12. Pugsly

Pugsly

7 caps will help - you will see results soon.

I only noticed results from dosing in the 3rd week, but then it dropped allot every day.

Recent Posts