Your Cardinal experience ?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by neo, 20 Apr 2010.

1. neo

neo

Howdy,
    I have taken a liking to the cardinals.
    being nocturnal, does this imply i wont see them during light-on time ? and can I mix diff type of cardinals ?

What is your experience with them ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I love Bangai Cardinals. Pajama Cardinals tend to blend in too much with their surroundings, and are quite dull next to other fish like tangs, angels etc.

Cardinals nocturnal? First time I've heard of this... I have noted they dont hide at night like other fish do, they just hang around in a small area of the tank. Never seen them hunting at night though...

They are great. I know there is an issue wrt schooling them though. There are lots of debate, about the amount. Some say even numbers, others say uneven numbers. What ever amount you keep, the moment two pair up, all hell breaks loose in smaller tanks (interspecies conflict I mean.) If you have a huge reef, they may choose a corner to breed in.

My advice is thus, do not keep more than two, then you have no problem with interspecies conflict.

They are easy eaters, not prone to desease as far as my experience goes. They do make target feeding a challenge though... They are like a bunch of students when someone gives out free beer!!! They are savages and will steel food right out of your corals. I always fight them off when target feeding my suncorals.

They are reef safe, and leave my corals alone. The do not fight with other fish, except when I introduced 3x four stripe damsels... There were all hell to pay. I think maybe the fourstripe damsels looked alot like small cardinals, and the two large cardinals kept on chasing the damsels for days...

They all have settled now, and I think the cardinals realized those are not cardinals...

Cool fish, and I get a lot of "ooo's and aaa's" from non reefkeepers about them...

robertkukla likes this.
  4. Boegie

Boegie

The ugliest fish that is the easiest to breed. Just my personal opinion.

5. robertkukla

robertkukla

i digg my pajama cardinal or i used to till he passed on

6. Jaco Schoeman

Yip, there are opinions like this out there... Respect to you for your opinion. ;)

I like them because their shape is not like other fish... They ALWAYS have whitespot so that is cool, no need to check for it, cause you wouldn't be able to see it in any case... :lol:

7. Boegie

Boegie

They remind me a lot of freshwater fish. But that said, I am actually still going to get a pair because they are 100% reefsafe and I want to breed them.

8. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx Jaco, will def put them on my list cause i do like them and from your description seems they dont hide during the day.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Not at all... They might prefer to hang around facing upstream next to an overhang or so, as they might prefer darker areas, but mine is open in full, all day, swimming everywhere... ;)

10. Jaco Schoeman

Hahahaha Boegie. This reminds me of the Malema and BBC reporter incident:

Malema: "You sit in your Sandton, airconditioned offices and..." "Sandton this and Sandton that..."

Reporter: "But you live in Sandton..."

Hahaha... Sorry, no respect, but even though you diss them, you still gonna breed them - I like that!!!

Maybe they surprize you and you start liking them, then you change your signature to somethin like: "Cardinals are :thumbup:..." Then you change your profile pic to cardinals, and before you know it, you have a biotype of 1274 cardinals... LOL... ;)

11. Boegie

Boegie

:thumbup:
    Beside them being ugly, they might have personality. I have a Lawnmower Blenny and I absolutely adore him. Aspecially when he check me out and open and close his mouth as if he is talking to me.

Recent Posts