Urgent help needed Young Clown Fish Not Eating

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by tekkengal, 23 Jul 2012.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi All,

I bought a clown fish on the 12/07/2012. It is roughly 3cm long and was fat when I got him. On Tuesday I noticed that he was not eating and started trying an assortment of food. I have tried:
    - Flaked food
    - Pellets
    - Frozen Mysis
    - Frozen mixed food (ocean nutrition I think it is called)
    I have also mixed the above with garlic.
    He basically tries to eat the food and then promptly spits it out.

I bought some brine shrimp over the weekend. He seemed interested again but only ate one and then ignored the rest. He did this both on Saturday and Sunday.

The place I bought him from advised me to wait it out and that he will eventually start eating but I think I waited enough.

Is there any live food that I can try?
    Where can I get it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

mine like squid

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hmmm I'm not saying this is the case so dont freak out yet, but it may be...I had the same issues with about 4 pairs of clowns when I first started this hobby...they would seem fine for the first 2 or 3 days and then promptly stop eating and eventually die...at the time there were stories of how the clowns were being caught/shipped etc...I have noticed of late again at our LFS clowns that have been coming in are all dying again...the last batch would have been around the same time you got that one...he also said to me it seemed a reoccurance of problems with clowns coming in.

I hope its not the above problem and that its just being fussy...its just odd that it was eating and now stopped...fish dont do that usually unless they are sick. :(

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

I'll try this, where can I buy some?

Eish, I have a feeling that I got one of those. Sad part is that it looks like he wants to eat and really tries but something about the food doesn't agree with him. I'm actually at the point where I want to force feed him just to get some food into him :(

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

Seachem do a product called Entice which you can mix with your flakes or pellets and it works very well for fussy eaters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jul 2012
  7. tekkengal

Thanks, will try this as well.

8. Gharam

Gharam

Hi tekkengal, did u try any of the above and did it work?

I bought 2 percula clowns and having the same problem. Got them 2 weeks ago and they were not eating properly. One died this past Monday and the one still not eating properly.

Hows urs doing?

9. tekkengal

Hi Gharam,

It didn't make it unfortunately. I suspect that it had an internal parasite. Another formunite had a similar problem and fish roe was recommended, you could try enticing yours and see if that will work for you. Else I would suggest getting a medication to try and treat an internal parasite infection. Quarantine it as well as my clown infected the rest of the tank and most of my fish died.

Good luck, I hope your story turns out better than mine.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Aah man Tekk sorry to hear about the losses. Hope things only improve for you from here on out. :(
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

with all this said ,and in no way bein cruel towards animals:p........... but is it wise spending and spending prob a coupla hundreds more than what the fish costed to get it to eat??? just my opinion

ive seen people spend over a thosand rand on meds to heal a fish they only paid 80 bucks for:whistling:

12. tekkengal

Thanks Kunhardt.
    Tank seems to be free of whatever they brought in, but I'm running ozone as a buffer. I also made sure I bought tank bred clowns this time round, will need to post pics when I get a chance. :thumbup:

13. Gharam

Gharam

My second one died this morning :( still was not eating!

What's tank bred clowns? Where can I find these?

14. tekkengal

Awe, sorry to hear that :( I know how you are feeling, I never thought that I would cry over a fish before.

I would suggest running the tank for a few weeks (4 -6) to get whatever parasite (if any) cycled out of it, don't add any other clowns in this period just to be safe.

Tank bred fish are fish that are bred in a captive environment. I think most of the tank bred fish that we get are the ORA imports. I suspect the fish we bought were wild caught and/or that they may have used cyanide in the process. Did yours get paper thin?

Check with your local pet store (Northlands pets are really good, speak to Chris or Mark to assist you) to see if they have stock of the ORA clowns.

All the best going forward!

15. Gharam

Gharam

Slightly thinner than what they were when I got them 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the advise, I'm going to do that and hope for the best!

Recent Posts