Yet Another New Member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scaredy-cat, 22 Sep 2012.

1. Scaredy-cat

Scaredy-cat

Hi People,
    Sigh,,,,,,,, you are probably saying, "yet another new member",,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,here i am, i have not yet bought my set up yet, i am first doing my homework, i need to know more before purchasing.
    I have however decided that as a new guy the way to go would be a "plug & play" sorta "nano", i like the look of the Boyu TL55 , also like what i have read about with the Red Sea Max 130, have also laid eyes on a Boyu HS60 , with chiller, seen a aquaria ( think that is what it was called) , also around 120 litre.
    Deluxe confused at present & about to move house too, so should probably delay purchase until after move on the 30 Nov 2012.
    I would say that i am leaning fairly heavily towards the Boyu HS60 unit with chiller at this stage, seems like a nice unit, however i have heard that Red Sea Max is about to launch a new / revised 130 nano soon, so perhaps the best is to just see what is available ?
    Perhaps the ideal thing to do would be to buy a used tank ? :eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave:@Scaredy-cat. Have fun, read, research and most of all be patient. I like the way you are thinking, wait for your move, shop around, many tanks in the for sale forums, saw a Boyu for R2500, great condition.
    Carlos

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...great to have you join..:1:...I would say wait until after the move...and a bit more reading can only make you a better prepared Reefer...:blush: I've got a Nano...so from my point of view I'll say go with something that has LED's..(heat factor with Nano's)..Chiller and you'r Electricity bill will not be best mates...:whistling:..I believe there is talk of the BOYU coming out with LED's...think it's the HS..(I've been searching for the Thread for over an hour, but no such luck...sigh..)..either way..it doesn't appear that it will be any time soon..I saw the JBJ 28g Nano Cube has a LED Unit...
    http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Flier-28gLED.pdf
    whether it's here already or not...I'm not sure...maybe @wild on pets could help...or @bryan..?
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=30535
    ...can't comment on JBJ Tanks as I don't know them...another thing to remember is the fact that many Fishy's...especially the small little one's( for nano's ) are jumpers...many never had problems but some do...guess it's luck of the draw unfortunately...:( ...so I'll say IMHO..a hooded Tank is better..it also just looks neater...IMHO..:)
    The one drawback I have with "plug-in-and-play's" is the fact that you can't upgrade...mostly anyway..:p...you have set "size" compartments and if you find out you'r Skimmer is to weak, due to the type of fish you are keeping..(some heavy meaty feeders...some multiple daily feeders...etc) you then find you'rself in a bit of a jam as you can't always get an "upgraded" skimmer to fit in "set size compartment"...:(...that's when I'll say the standard Tank and Sump Set-up could very well be better...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Scaredy-cat,

No, we are saying ... "yay! Another person to grow awareness of this great hobby to others!"

As the others have stated, it would be advisable to wait until after the move, unless you see that special tank that you REALLY REALLY like in the for sale forum. Then take it, but keep it empty till after the move. Rather use this waiting time to do your research on what inhabitants you want, and research them.

There is definitely nothing wrong with a used tank. Chances are, that the owner parted with it with no great joy. (Unless they upgraded!)
    This hobby is one of loads of patience, and plenty of research, and even then, even the most careful of us, can have a stroke of bad luck. The main thing is not to be ignorant of the potential pitfalls, and be as prepared as you can be.
    Once you start that cycling process, you are accepting responsibility for every life that you put in there, and as with your family, you should be prepared to give those newly-acquired living things the best that you can.
    Now this does not mean that you should kiss your money good bye, as not all good husbandry rely on money. It also relies on time, energy and love. That is why most of us enjoy a good DIY!

And now I should stop babbling..

Glad to have you join us, and do feel free to ask your Q's... Plenty of patient members who will explain all, or refer you to those who can.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2012
  6. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Well Said!!!

I don't always welcome new members, but i always take note of it, and is happy to see new guys!!

7. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Henkie

Henkie

Welcome to MASA!!! Always nice to have a new member on the forum
    :welcomewave:

9. Scaredy-cat

Scaredy-cat Thread Starter

Wow, thanx for the encouragement guys !! Much appreciated.

I have seen the newest Boyu HS60, with chiller & LED lights, it seems really nice, perhaps a little larger than a "nano" as i believe it is 150 odd litres, but seems to be well finished & comes at around 10K with a chiller !!!

I also enjoyed the Red Sea Max 130 , but i believe that they are about to launch a much upgraded unit into the market soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who knows ? I will just keep my options open, money is pretty tight out there, i am confident that there are bargains to be had, the timing just needs to be right. :thumbup:

Recent Posts