yet another LED build Thread

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by irie ivan, 20 Apr 2015.

1. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Not being happy with lighting over my current system, and not being able to find an LED fixture which suits my requirements or budget, I am looking at building my own LED fitting, to run in conjunction with T5s.
    I have googled and shopped around a lot, and have come up with some ideas, which might work, considering local availability of LEDs, parts etc.

I do not have a clue as to what is needed, and I plan to update this thread with what I am doing, plan to do and need to know.

Via Bid or Buy, I can get most of what I think I need, and E-bay for the balance.

I am not really interested in Sunrise, Sunset, Thunderstorms and playing with a myriad of colours. All I want is to supplement my T5's with some extra Bang.

I currently run a 2x54W Odyssea (2 x ATI Blue Plus), and a 2 x 54 Hagen (2 x ATI Coral Plus) with a 2 x 24W Hagen (1 x ATI Actinic & 1 x ATI Blue Plus) wedged between the two 54W units.
    Tank is only 90cm long x 40cm wide.
    My thinking is to replace the 2 x 24 T5 unit with a strip of LEDS, 2 x 3W Near UV, 400 - 420 nm, 3 x 5W Royal and two 10W or 20W COB Actinic Blue.

When it gets to drivers and power supplies I really don't have a clue.

Would really appreciate some help from anyone who has a clue.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zippy

zippy

why not just go a 50w chip with power supply? You may need to go 2 chips to balance the white, so a blue and a white chip may work out better. With the 50w chips you could get away with some good sps growth as well and have the T5's supplement for the desired colour.

4. irie ivan

irie ivan Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thought about that, But the size of the heat sinks, spread etc not practical. These actinic COB chips will give me a good balance of colour and growth. [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-Actinic-Hybrid-10W-3-Cold-White-6-Royal-Blue-High-Power-LED-Light-Bulb-/321142493689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac59591f9"]Square Actinic Hybrid 10W 3 Cold White 6 Royal Blue High Power LED Light Bulb | eBay[/ame]

5. Franske

Franske

I would just go all out 3W and get a big enough driver to run all of them. You find a lot of constant current drivers around 700mA able to run about 15x3w LEDS (+- 45-50V then). I would also go 1/3 cool white and 2/3 royal blue. You can go UV but look at the color range on the UV and royal blue since they do overlap sometime then its unnecessary.

6. Criggy

Criggy

interesting idea there - those hybrid units off ebay look decent. Would you install them and hook up direct to a power supply?
    Im wondering if I should also go this way as Im tired of continuously replacing t5 bulbs as well as the issues that come along with them when they get older.
    How would one waterproof those units? and for instance on a 1,2 x 450 x 450 how many would one require? I have mainly lps and a few small sps..sorry for the part hijack

7. irie ivan

Last edited: 20 Apr 2015
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

look on ebay for dreamchip led , 5 channel 100w customisable

9. irie ivan

Thanks Dallas, but not what I am after, as these will force me to do cannon style spots.

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

11. irie ivan

I like my T5's and want the best of both worlds. If i could handle the heat and power of 3 x 70w 14k halides i would go that route rather...
    Thise reefbrites are very similar to what I had in mind, again thanks Dallas. The vertex units way overpriced, else I would have had one already. Even sexond hand, too costly. With 5 x 10w and chip replacements, I am coming in at way below a second hand vertex. Sure, not nearly as good, but good enough for my intended purpose.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2015
  12. 4age

4age

There a guy selling a vertex 60cm unit for a good price.might be worthwhile if he is willing to negotiate better price..think he wants R3500 for it

13. saaid

saaid

@irie ivan

I have spare 220vac 10w 900mA drivers and heatsinks i can give you to play around with.

All you need are the chips which is available from led select in your town at R25 i think.

Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. irie ivan

Last edited: 21 Apr 2015
Recent Posts