Yes or No.....Please discuss!!!!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Darryl, 3 Dec 2008.

1. Darryl

Darryl

So here's a thing!

Would running a UV sterilizer diminish the growth/spread of purple calcium based algae?

I know that it kills normal algae spoors, so would it do the same to "good algae"?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

UV sterilizer do not discriminate, they kill anything that runs through them (as long as it is set up correctly of course)

4. lIghty

lIghty

I think it would possibly diminish the spread, but not he growth of coraline algae, as when it grows it simply extends on itself. IMO but with no research on this.

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

It may, but i run mine 24/7 and have the pink stuff all over the place including inside my skimmer.

6. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip i also run mine 24/7 and my coraline is insane

7. marine101

marine101

Thats a loaded question. Technically yes, but in an adequate system, negligably. However, in a less jacked system, perhaps the effects become significant? Personally, i dont run my Uv 247, only when needed, but im probably running the least jacked system on the forum.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

depending on where it is situated it will have a influence on the transfer of algal spores etc which is its intednded purpose, but i doubt all the spores will leave the tank ad go to the filter assuming the UV is placed in the return line (the most strategic position IMO)... im going to say no. i think there will be sufficient "seedlings" available within the system to spur growth on.. the other alternative is to take rock with corraline on and scrape it off and place this onto other rock... this will also accelerate growth of corraline.

Recent Posts