Yes... Another hair algae thread

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by KSreefster, 19 Jan 2014.

1. KSreefster

KSreefster

Hi all, Please help with hair algae issue:

1. The thank is 6 months old

2. It was started with 22 KG's dead reef rock (not 'cooked' before inserted, only rinsed) and 18 KG's of aragalive as substrate

3. Waterflow consists of 1 WP40, 1 5000l sunsun and 4000l /h waveline DC return pump

4. Lighting are LED's and switches on at 07:00 and off at 17:00

5. Nitrates are below 3ppm, phosphates showing 0 but probably gets consumed by the algae , using salifert kits

6. Carbon and ammonia stones in small reactor

7. TS2 skimmer, very aggressive skimming

8. Water : we are buying water due to the fact that our RO/DI unit only produces about 1L /day. The other day I noticed that the water we are adding has a TDS reading of 100 something (can't remember exact measurement), is this the culprit to our problem?

9. Feeding 2 frozen cubes every morning

Any other questions about the tank ask away or go check out the tank at : KSreefster and Pcs's 650 cube

Last edited: 19 Jan 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Freshwater is culprit number one TDS should be below 10 closer to 0 is obviously best. And secondly frozen food is second culprit you might cut back on giving such alot of frozen food at a time and everyday.

4. reef addict

reef addict

TDS is to high. When feeding frozen food make sure only feeding what can be eaten quick.. I buy RO from oasis.. have no issues.. where u buying ur ro water from

5. KSreefster

KSreefster Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys, that's the thing my fish eat the 2 cubes in about 4 minutes, most of the food gets gulped by the tang, but will definitely feed less and see what happens, secondly the water, we buy it at a home industry (tuisnywerheid), the water is supplied by icekimo if I'm not mistaken

6. reef addict

reef addict

Try have the water tested by your LFS.. your tank is only 6 months old.. u can experience algea issues up to a year..

7. KSreefster

Thanks @reef addict , the problem is, our old tank was over a year old with the same issues, so must definitely be the water or feeding. I see there's an oasis here in PE, maybe I should give them a try?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. reef addict

reef addict

Just a suggestion, why not collect nsw? U close enough to best mixed water ever.. collect in a incoming tide

9. reef addict

reef addict

I use nsw when I can, however petrol price says otherwise. . Like I said I use Oasis water and have no issues

10. KSreefster

Yea we are thinking going that route, but can you top up with saltwater? Wouldn't the salinity rise

11. Fred d

Fred d

a friend from hermanus collects nsw and then mixes with ro to get the sg right ... @Charl_Stanhope .
    he does water changes though

remember ... salt does not evaporate so adding more salt implies raising the salinity ...
    topping up is usually done with ro

Last edited: 19 Jan 2014
  12. Riaanv

Riaanv

The problem is nutrient export. From the listed filtration I do not see any nutrient export which means phosphate and nitrate will always be available for hair algae to grow.

There need to be something that will outcompete the hair algae. Biocubes, ats, phosphate removers are all options.

Feeding less will slow the addition of phos and nitrate but without export you will land in the same place.

TDS of 100 does not necessarily mean nitrate or phosphate is present. 0 is best because you are adding 100 of something which is unknown in the mix...you can test ammonia, phosphate and nitrate of the new water before adding to be sure it is part of the problem

13. VicZA

VicZA

Here's a question you could maybe help me with. My tank is 2 months old and I also get hair algae - not loads but it is very visible.

The TDS coming from my RO unit is 0 but I fill up two 25litre drums that I use for RO water and also water changes, so after it goes into these containers the TDS is typically 16-24. I figure it's probably due to the salt or tank water that is still present in the drum when I start making RO. IS that a problem or is the fact that the RO water is 0 to start with ok ?

14. Riaanv

Riaanv

Actually tested the tds from my ro now for the first time in 6 months and sitting at 49. I do not have hair algae issues, feed a lot. I run biocubes, ats, dsb.

I think you should be fine, but all systems are different in their own way and too many factors play a role, not only RO. Main thing is export what you put in. Most people say put in less then there is less to export, which is correct but not the only way.

15. VicZA

VicZA

I have started running bio cubes ... but only been going for 3 weeks.

I actually haven't tested any parameters in about 5 weeks ... think it's time to do so

16. Riaanv

Riaanv

Agree, regular testing can reveal potential issues and action cab be taken before they get out of hand. Having said that a TDS of 49 is not an issue I will be replacing RO filters to get back to 0. If my phosphate increases to 0.03 I replace the phos remover. Neglected this once and struggled for two months with dinoflagellates....

17. KSreefster

Thanks guys, been using bio cubes, but due to the fact that the airstone can't stay at the bottom, it's not been a help to us

18. Riaanv

Riaanv

Also consider adding a chaeto ball and light to your sump. Will help in the long run.

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tied the tube down with the yellow string, tight. Should stay down then?
    Do you have enough cubes for your water volume? Initially I had too little and did not see results.

19. VicZA

VicZA

What is the guideline ?

20. Riaanv

Riaanv

Heavy load: 3ml of cubes per 1 litre of aquarium water, light load 1ml of cubes per 1 litre

Last edited: 20 Jan 2014
  21. Henkie

Henkie

A lot of guys in PE use nsw including myself.

If you struggle to keep up with RO water there is a shop next to Ultimates that sells RO water at a good price, just take a 25lt drum with you.

Recent Posts