Yellowish "slime" on Coral

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Raven, 2 Mar 2008.

1. Raven

Raven

Good evening guys!
    Hope all had a great weekend...(well mine was great - one of my friends got married yesterday).
    Ok enough about the weekend, and back to the question at hand.
    I've noted this afternoon that my cabbage coral have this funny yellowish looking slime substance on it...
    Any ideas?
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][​IMG][/FONT]coral

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Wax on Wax off

Really difficult to tell with the picture, but I doubt whether it would be something to worry about, as these corals are generally tough as nails.

My suspicion:
    Corals like Sinularia, (as in picture), sarcophyton, lobophyton, nephtea, and a few others often develpo a slime coat to get rid of unwanted settlements on their skin. The mucus secreted by these corals have an almost waxy appearance, oppose to the wet "flu snot like" mucus released by eg. colt corals. The wax like mucus is usually released/blown off the coral in sheets. As it could contain significant amounts of alleopathic toxins, you should be more concerned about this "waxy slime" being blown onto other corals, than it coating the sinularia. The yellow tinge you observe is more than likely settled detritus trapped by the mucus.

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Try blow it off with a power head.

Recent Posts