Urgent help needed Yellow Water!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Bonzai, 27 Dec 2010.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Hi there

The past week I have noticed my marine aquarium's water started to turn cloudy and over night it changed yellow. I did a water change, following the advice of another aquariumist... nothing. Still yellow. Then a pet shop told me to add a pack of activated charcoal in my sump, and even if possible take a pack of charcoal and put it in a stocking and put it drifting in my tank. I did a test on it and everything is fine. They say I must NOT do another water change this week. But what can I do, it's really disgusting and I almost can't see my fish if they do not swim up to the glass.

I have a 130L Tank.
    2 x Clowns, 1 x Dragon Wrasse, 1 Yellow Sailfin, 1 x Box Fish, 1 x Spider Crab, 1 x Hermit Crab, 2 Cardinals.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to MASA.

Bud we need a lot more information about your tank before advice can be given. Tell us all about your tank and we will endeavour to help.

1) How long has the tank being running?
    2) What filtration do you have?
    3) What skimmer do you have?
    4) What are the water parameters?
    5) What lighting do you have and what is the photo period?

ETC ETC

4. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks

1 - Tank has bee running for 3-4 months now. It was nice and clear for a month about before this.

2 - The water flows down to a sump, over filter wool, through crushed coral, then through some charcoal which I only added 2 days ago, then over bio balls and back to the tank.

3 - Do not have a protein skimmer as the pet shop said it is not as needed with the setup I have, if I do regular water changes and maintenance.

4 - I can give you the following : Temp 26'C, Salinity 1.020, The other I do not have with me now.

5 - I have a white tube and a blue tube. I keep the blue "moonlight" tube on 24/7. The white I switch on at 8 o'clock and switch off at 10 o'clock at night. But this whole setup was like this from the start.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The question is how often do you do water changes and how much at a time? Do you use RO water or tap water? Your salinity is also a bit too low, should be 1.025.
    Just for record, what brand carbon did they sell you?

6. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks, and I use filtered water. And they sold me DARO Carbon.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2010
  7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am of the opinion that the yellowing of the water is an algae bloom caused by your light photo period. I would advise giving the tank a blackout for a few days and doing water changes. The carbon will help but the yellowing of the water should not have been caused by fish urine or DOC as this sort of yellowing normally takes a long time. Fast yellowing is either an algae bloom or an Ammonia issue.

Do you have any corals? Because if you do your salinity is very low and should be gradually increased.

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud the DARO carbon is high in PO4 and could worsen an algae bloom.

Your water changes are not frequent enough.

9. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

I have no corals. I am waiting for a bigger aquarium to be built to do corals. This tank is fish only. Is the salinity then still a problem?

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The low salinity will not cause the yellowing of the water.

Some aquariusts run the fish only tanks at a lower SG in an attempt to reduce the likelihood of white spot. I would lift the SG to about at least 1,023.

At the bottom of @Tobes post are a few very good links for newbies. Please read them. you will learn a vast amount.

11. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Am I going to lose my fish?

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

That depends on a number of factors.

But test your water with good quality test kits and post here. Will will do our best to ensure their well being.

13. Adam Scott

Adam Scott

Hi Bonzai

By the sound of things you are really strugglig, I am assuming that you do not have any of these test kits that the members are talking about. If you take a water sample in a clean container and bring it along with all details of your system yo our store in Boksburg, We will test all your parameters and offer any advice free of charge

Regards

Adam

14. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Hi Adam

Thanks will do so if I have a chance.

For now, would you guys recommend me to do a 20L water change with filter water now? Or how much?

Last edited: 27 Dec 2010
  15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Why not give @Tobes a PM. He is in Witbank and I am sure he will be willing to test your water or if you are not to far from him, pop around and give you a hand.

A water change will be OK if you have ready made up water. BTW what salt mix are you using?

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip agree, PM Tobes. Maybe visit him and learn some tricks.

And a skimmer. You do need one. Most important part in getting disolved organic compound out of the tank. And that is the yellow that makes the tank look like pee water. Same as normal fresh water with some dead leaves in it. Turns yellow. But as mentioned, it can be an algae bloom.

Also the rest of your filtration system is not ok for corals. Bio-balls is ok for fish only and live rock.

But it sounds that in these 4 months you slowly increased per week your phosphate load in your system.

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How's your tank doing now? I replied to your PM but you never answered back?

18. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Hey Tobes

Sorry dude. Was a bit busy with new stands etc. That same day there was a guy selling his whole system(Tank, water, fish, pumps, supplies for a year etc.), so I bought that up from him. Relocated my fish and did water changes in the yellow water tank, and brought it back to clear water. Also got some live rock from the coast and placed that in the tank. Im just cycling it now, then I will relocate my fish back to that tank. It's got a few snails, hermits, blennies and shrimps in now. I got these from the coast. As soon as it's fine again I will post pics. I added some real sea water as well that I brought the hermits etc in.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jan 2011
  19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You can only start a for sale thread once you've been a member on the forum for a month and made 20 posts. I edited your post as you may not advertise here, sorry, but we have to follow the rules :)

20. Sentari

Sentari

You cant sell local hermits and snails. They need to be given away.

21. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Thanks Tobes. I did not know that... Luckily everyone is very helpful in correcting my stupid mistakes.

Sentari, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Recent Posts