Urgent help needed Yellow Toadstool Dying

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jacqolive, 12 Jun 2012.

1. jacqolive

jacqolive

Hi Guys

About a week and a half ago I bought a yellow toadstool and it is now dying. When I got it there was some coral rubble at the base of the foot that it had attached to and it was very difficult to place the coral. After a few hours of struggling I decided to remove the coral rubble by gently pealing it from the coral by hand. I then placed the coral and put to rubber band on bout side of the coral the ensure it would stay in place. The coral then flopped over to the one side and it looked like the rubber bands where putting pressure on it from both sides, having handled the coral and putting it under stress I decided to leave it as it seemed ok with most of its polyps extending about 0.5cm. Six days later I removed the rubber bands as I could see they where starting to cut into the coral, sadly it had not attached yet so decided to try and move it somewhere else and noticed that the foot did not look very good. It fell over from where I placed it a day later and has been in the sand bed a couple of days now while I was trying to research what I can do. The problem is that the foot is really starting to look bad as its gone black with like a white mold on it and I realize that it will have to be removed. My question is, is there anything that I can do to save it like cut the bad part of the foot of or is it beyond hope. The photo below is not very good but you can see the "rotting" foot in red and that there is still a lot of good tissue,I have not touched it in a couple of days so not sure if the top has gone soft but will check when removing it later to either frag or discard depending on the advice I get tonight.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Firstly you dont get a yellow leather. If it was very yellow then it was dyed. And dyed corals dont last very long. If you remove the coral and the foot has a rotten smell then its a tell tale sign that it is dying. You can try and frag a piece from the top to see if you can salvage something but my guess is that it will die as well. But rather try before chucking out the whole thing.

4. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Its the same coral as the on in this thread. I dont think its dyed but I also dont think its a fiji leather as the stalk seems to long. As it may I need to save it. How close to the cap can I cut the foot?

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what is happening at the base? is it a strange growth or is the leather dissolving?

The top looks like it is sulking.

6. Nur

Nur Starz

Have you tried a coral dip to get rid of infection or parasites?
    If you don't have a coral dip then make a solution of water from display an iodine.
    I normally mix 1ml Iodine per 500ml tank water or water where coral is in.

Hope this helps,

Recent Posts