Yellow tang's set up

Yellow Tang

Salt Creep
Reaction score
My set-up is simple. 2 meter tank with 1.2m sump, chiller, 2XResun wavemakers, diy kalkwasser reactor, calcium reactor, no cabinet, diy lighting and hood (3X150W m.h. & 4X54W actinic T5). No pics yet. Looking for sps. Know anyone who will sell?

I've started your own thread, to keep the other thread on track and so you don't get lost in it.

Can you post pics? Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Personally, I think you may need a little bit more flow in your tank if you really want to keep SPS (turnover of at least 60x tank display is kind of the norm).

Welcome to MASA YellowTang!!

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Yellow Tang! Thanks for joining us! I hope that you enjoy your stay!

It's a REAL pity that you don't have any pictures. We just LOVE ogling at pictures! It's the only way we can REALLY share our member's experiences with them!

masahello

Welcome to MASA. Your lighting sounds fine for SPS's if the tank is about 600mm high but I think you may have too little flow especially on a tank that length. PIcs will definately give us a better idea of where you're going. How long has your tank been running as SPS's require extreme stability with water parameters

Will try to post some pics soon. Must admit flow is a bit low but I favour a set-up with rocky outcrops rather than with hundreds of kgs of liverock. That way the fish get to swim freely with an option of 'returning' to the reef. So having just the two wavemakers could be sufficient for a tank with only one outcrop like myne. The wavemakers are placed near to and facing the outcrop. Xenia is pulsing and acro, monty are colouring up. Still intend adding cheap but effective additional p/head.

Yellow Tang - look at the SunSun power-heads. I was EXTREMELY impressed with mine. I have a 5000 litres/hour model (I too have 2 ReSun Wavers, as well as the SunSun, and 2 x SEIO M-1100's and one SEIO M-1500).... I also have some "cheap" LifeTech pump, blowing detritus around...
Total water flow in my tank, with my return pump, is +-54000 litres per hour... about 90 times the display tank water volume per hour.

I know jacquesb. Oh, thanks for all the warm welcomes. I have some of those sun sun pumps. They are so cheap, even if I have to replace them every year they are still a bargain. Had one running in a nano and now have one 5000lph magnetic attached running in each of my outside aquaria. only problem sometimes they don't switch on when switched off. My way around this is to stick my pinkie in and push impellor slightly. But this does'nt happen often. I suppose if left alone, will start eventually on its own. I always try to see how 'cheap' I can get away with. Bang-for-your buck is good with these pumps. As for the extra current needed in my main setup, I have connected an old resun SP5200. Has a thin nozzle and is rated at only 2800lph I think (can't make out writing on pump so lekke anymore) but blows quite strongly.

Here are some cellphone pics.

16684d8e34be02255.jpg

16684d8e34e6a34d4.jpg

16684d8e350225fa5.jpg

16684d8e3520f3ed5.jpg

Welcome :).. You have a very nice system :) .. Would like to see your thread and how you built it up

WOW, took you a little while to post some pics:lol:. Great tank, awesome coral variety!

How about some more specs of the tank? fish and corals etc

Back
Top Bottom