Yellow tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by callie, 24 Dec 2009.

1. callie

callie

I have a yello tang for about 4 week. Yesterday i bought a brown scopas tang. Since i put in the scopas tang in tank the 2 are fighting like crazy. What must i do? I took the scopas tang out of tank again and put it in my sump.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andreas

Andreas

Tangs are very territorial and you should always start with tang first. Every new addition should be slightly bigger so that the existing fish wont dare to take on the new one. How big is your setup again Callie?Have you tried leaving the lights off for a while or changing your aquascaping?How big are your two tangs?If your yellow is bigger it might be a good idea to try ad scoop him and leave him in your sump for a couple of days. Change the scaping ever so slightly so that he will be a bit confused when you add him back in;)

4. callie

callie Thread Starter

The new tang is slightly bigger but i does not scare off the yello tang. My tank is 1500 x 500 x 700 high. I did change the position of live rock but without any sucsess.

5. toppdogg

toppdogg

i have the same two tangs
    they fought for about a week and are now the best of buddies they will settle
    your tank size is large so they will settle
    what you can do is wait till all lights are off the put scopas back in when in total darkness see what happens just my 2c

6. Andreas

Andreas

I would suggest that you keep the scopa in the sump for a week or so until it has settled in nicely with your system. Then change the rock work a bit so that the yellow is a bit confused. Switch off the lights and add the scopa. Please observe carefully so that they dont inflict to much damage to each other as the fins near their tails can cause quite a bit of damage.

Another thing to try is to add more than one tang to the same tank simultaneously so that they share the initial fight:)

7. callie

callie Thread Starter

Just to give an update to problem i had. The 2 tangs are very good friends now. Took about 2 days of fighting with each other. Thanks again for advise.

8. Andreas

Andreas

Great news Callie:)I've seen tangs get a bit aggressive with each other when you change the aqua scaping in a small tank so keep that in mind if you ever move over to a smaller tank;)

Recent Posts