Yellow Tang vs Copperband

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by VicZA, 24 Jun 2015.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Hey guys,

I have two tangs in my 4-ft tank - one is a medium-large yellow tang and the other a small bristle tooth tang. The BT tang spends his days chasing blennies but the YT is very chilled and friends with everyone.

Yesterday I introduced a Copperband and it was hate at first sight from the YT. The Copperband came from a very large tank that had two YT in it but my YT has never been with any other "similar" fish.

I was expecting a problem but just wanted to know if it is likely to calm down or is this going to be a problem ? Also and "recipes or tricks" to help them get along ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yes, the YT will do that because they look similar (conspecific). What I do, just before sunset, say an hour, hang up a mirror and let the YT and any other fish "fight" with it's reflection, leave the mirror up until an hour after sunrise. I recently introduced a CB to a tank with a Powder blue, Tenniti and a very territorial scribbled angel, within two days there was peace.

4. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

Yes, the YT is quite aggressive towards CBB. My YT killed my CBB one day, after about 6 months happily together in the tank.

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

well the CB has been harassed all day and ends up cowering in the top corners of the tank, even when the mirror trick is used.

Going to leave them to sort out their issues for another day or two but what can I do if the Tang persists ?

6. Dian6430

Dian6430

I wish i could give you could news but a month later my cbb is still in the same spot. Similar to your scenario

7. Dian6430

Dian6430

In my case its my scopa tang chasing and keeping the cbb in the top front corner of my tank

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

The CB will most likely die unless you do something. It won't eat, and the stress will kill it. You will need to chose one. CB or YT. It's actually stressful for all concerned.

dallasg and Dian6430 like this.
  9. Vetrix

Vetrix

Sump the YT for a week, if you can.

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

This could work, changing structure of rock work would also help. One must also consider that these options might fail because the tank is only a 1.2 metres in length.

dallasg likes this.
  11. Adrian B

Adrian B

Catch the Yellow Tang with a fish trap - leased stressful method for all concerned and put him in the sump for 7 days or so (or until the CBB is eating well and has gotten his Mojo back) Mirror on the back of the trap drives Tangs mad.

Assuming you have a decent sized sump with a light in?

Yellow Tang is just defending his turf. When you put him back it will no longer be his turf it, will be the CBB turf or the next most dominant fish and the Yellow tang will be a lot more respectful on re-entering the tank.

Got a stroppy Powder Brown tang and a Convict Tang, had to do this just about every time I introduced another fish.

Works like a bomb, except that the Tangs now know know what a fish trap is and snigger at me when I put it in these days.

12. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

will try the suggestions folks. The CB is eating though .... and the YT seems to be leaving him alone alot more - will see by the weekend

13. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

ok, so putting the YT in the sump for 1 week did nothing ... they just going to have to live with each other and get used to it

Recent Posts