Yellow Tang Sick?

Reaction score
Hello, my Yellow Tang which has been in QT for the last 3 weeks has suddenly started getting red lines on its forehead and the side of its body. Its also decided to stop eating since since yesterday (Thought nothing off it untill tonight). As for breathing its also gotten a bit erratic. Only Chemicals that have been added to the Tank are Copper, which are followd by routine water changes. Is this some form of Bacterial Infection or Normal for Tangs?

A pic would really help!

Could be Copper poisoning, if you have a Cu test kit, do a test.

Is it like a line that runs down the whole length of its body? on both sides? Maybe HLLE

Check ALL water parameters.

What have you been feeding?

I doubt ile get a clear pic, i never do (Shit Camera) so that's out... As for the red lines they run from the forhead to the tail on both sides of the body. Its only 1 red line each side on the higher up region of the fishes body, its got alot of them on the face area aswell. I dont have a Cu test kit so thats out. And could possibly be HLLE, but im not sure.

U could possibly be right on the Copper Poisening though, his been in the tank a while. Didnt have this when he was in the display... Maby i should consider moving him back but the Display has only been empty 3 weeks now, wanted to go 4 weeks min for my whitespot outbreak I had...

Personally i disadvise the use of copper medication unless under extreme circumstances.
Low sg (1.018-1.020) and water temperature up to 28 degrees.
I agree with lighty, it could be copper poisoning.

U think i should chance it by moving it back to the display then? or is it to late.

Maybe do a large water change 20-30% ASAP, making sure temp, ph and SG matches.

If you have Activated Charcoal, it should help with the Cu, Please correct me if im wrong Meks.

What food you feeding

I have other fish in the QT, they are fine. Just wierd the Tang started its problems... I stopped adding Copper Meds on Tuesday as it finished 10 day course. Why its affecting the fish now is random...

Looks Like Carbon will help remove the copper, two extracts off the WWW,

Activated Carbon
Chemical filtration is most commonly accomplished by means of activated carbon. The carbon's micro-porous structure absorbs dissolved organics, chloramines, fish odors, toxic metals, toxic gases and growth inhibiting enzymes.

Medications

Most aquarium medications are readily sorbed by activated carbon. Carbon products must be removed while treating with antibacterial drugs and antiparasitic chemicals (formlin, malachite green, copper sulfate.) Use fresh carbon to remove the medication after treatment is completed.

Storm - lIghty is correct - please show us pics..... what did you have in your QT setup? Did you have some pumps in it that could have leaked some stray electricity?
OR perhaps doze copper? Perhaps dosed too much copper?

Jacques i followd the instructions on the bottle, so dosage should be fine. As for the Activated Carbon it is changed on a regular basis. And i am doing frequent water changes every few days...

Back
Top Bottom