Urgent help needed yellow tang giving powder brown a rubbing

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by duanead, 23 Oct 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys I have a yellow tang that goes well with my other sailfin tang but today I bought a powder brown tang and the yellow tang is chasing the powder brown thru the whole tank and is bumping against him the whole time,is there anything I can do to stop this?

Or ate they just a bad match?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Any new Tang additions can always be risky once your old ones are settled and have become dominant fish in the tank. This is not to say that they wont eventually settle down after a while.

How big is the tank? Do you have a large amount of rockwork etc that the PB can get away and hide when need be from the YT?

You can try turning the lights off and putting a blanket over the tank to keep it dark for now and reassess in the morning if how they are.

That rubbing is the YT trying to cut the PB up with its blade by its tail...not nice at all. Remember PB's are also very suseptible to white spot which isnt helped by the stress of being chased and attacked by the YT, best bet if things dont settle soon would be to remove one of the fish.

4. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

I've got a 600litre tank,so its big and a lot of places to hide but the yellow tang keeps going after the pb,so ja thanks for the advise ill try the cover tank and lights of and see if it will work

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud @Achilles gives very good advice in that it is best to introduce tangs, and other spices, into a "basket" in the tank so that the community gets used to the new addition and also gives the new fish a chance to acclimatise the new surroundings.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks for advise guys I'm trying the light out now, I'm really stressed will hopefully get beter

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yellow, Purple, Scopa, thay are some of the tangs that MUST be introduced last. They are more agro compared to Blond Naso and Chocolate tang, Regal, Powder Blue and brown.

If you can fit a little tank with your magnet cleaner inside the main display for day or two. So that the rim it is just under water to allow fresh water from entering. Also aim powerhead so that it pushes waves over. Until they are used to each other.

8. Achilles

Achilles

600 Litres is a fair size but Tangs are aggressive to new introductions especially other Tangs, you have to try socially acclimate new fish by having them in a divided section or seperate but large container within the aquarium, otherwise the new fish is always at the mercy of the established fish and they are likely to see it as competition for food and want to chase it away of course they can do this in the wild and the fish will flee but in an aquarium it cant this can lead to death from aggression.

This is why all new fish should never just be added to an aquarium without a divider or social acclimation box of sufficient size it is just too risky as many reef fish are highly territorial.After a few days to a few weeks one can assess the aggression and see if one can allow the fish to mix.IF this fails then it is best to remove the aggressive fish and reintroduce it later to the aquarium again via division or social acclimation container.

Keep the lights off until you can divide the aquarium to reduce aggression or move the fish to a suitably sized acclimation container ( it must be large enough for the fish to live in comfortably for a few weeks if necessary )The containers /dividers must allow the fish to see each other so they get used to each other.

9. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks guys ill try and put a egg crate in tank to divide the tank,anyone who knows where I can buy those crates

10. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the help you guys gave me,I've got the egg crate in tank as a divider, next question is when will I know its the right time to take it out?

11. Achilles

Achilles

Well now that the fish are divided make sure you have still got good flow on both halves of the aquarium, post pics please can give better advice,

You need to assess the aggressive fish's behaviour(yellow tang) does he still try to attack the powder brown when he sees it through the eggcrate? When you notice that aggression has subsided let the fish mix by moving the eggcrate slightly, but do not remove it totally so you can instantly divide it again if fighting starts and the yellow chases the powder brown back to his divided section. It can take 3 days to 2 weeks for social acclimation also if the aggression persists switch the fish territories around and try that.

If aggression still persists you will then have to go the route of removing the yellow tang from the tank for a while(quarantine or hospital tank) and then attempt a reintroduction after some time( 1 week at least) by then the powder brown should have settled in well.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2011
Recent Posts